Substrate/Humidity for Gray-Banded Kings?

I’m trying to buy a Gray Banded Kingsnake soon, and I’m trying to figure out some specifics on care since most of the guides I’ve seen online are either vague or old. What’s the best substrate for these guys? I have aspen but can easily switch depending on necessity. I was also wondering about humidity; it seems like they don’t like anything over 45% long term, and that’s exactly where my tank room is at. Are they more tolerant of slightly higher humidity, or do a need a dehumidifier to bring it down a bit? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

3 Likes

Ambient room humidity will be fine, they really are not that picky. I have mine in cages in VA (and previously GA) and dump a gallon of water in now and then and they never take issue with it

Cannot help much on the bedding (again, cages) but I have seen people use aspen and newsprint and coco bedding so they seem pretty flexible there too

5 Likes

Both of ours are on aspen and have been a long time. We don’t really add any humidity either except when the water bowl gets low. And we are in north central Texas.

5 Likes

My little girl is in a tub with aspen substrate and a water bowl that I keep filled. I don’t stress over humidity and I am in central IN. She is thriving. :snake:

4 Likes

I want one of the little cuties one day. I think my ambient humidity might be too high though.

4 Likes

Well there are a lot of Florida kingsnakes. How high does it get there?

3 Likes

My ambent humidity is 55-60% in the room. With dry coco the enclosures are 60–65% consistently. I only can get it lower by having a screen top, like I have for Leaky at the moment.

It is perfect for boas lol :joy:.

4 Likes

Screen top would be fine. All our colubrids have them.

3 Likes

The only thing I worry about is the temps but I guess that could work.

4 Likes

We use aspen and an undertank heater on thermostat. Adults in a 40 breeder with a hide over the heat and a big dog water bowl on the cool side. Ifnthey arent under one, its the other. Unless its a Saturday and they know feeding day is Sunday.

4 Likes

Are you getting a baby because the babies are almost as squirmy as baby milks. At least my girl is! Lol! :snake:

3 Likes

Thank you, I will definitely keep that in mind.

@caron, lol :joy:. No, nothing as of now but it is a very good possibility.

5 Likes

If you look at the temp swings in west Texas, your worries will completely evaporate LOL

7 Likes

I meant that question for @bshoyer ! Sorry! :face_with_hand_over_mouth::upside_down_face:

3 Likes

Thanks everyone for the replies! Good to know I was worrying for nothing. @caron all of the ones I want keep getting sold before I can get to them so I’ll take what I can get! Seems like most of them that are available are around the 1 year range so we’ll see just how squirmy they are when I actually get one

2 Likes

That squirmy-ness will go away as they get older. Our male is around 7 and is just super laid-back. Even our 2 yo is pretty easy going.

3 Likes

That’s good to know! Once Petra is out of her enclosure she settles down a lot. :+1:

3 Likes

Yeah, I saw that :rofl:

2 Likes