Successfully saved egg. Beautiful Cresty!

Happy to announce for those know the story an egg I was trying to save hatched today. I’m super excited about this guy. He looks like dad but darker. Yellow or Orange, Definatly gonna be Furry and Pos Brindle. Time will tell.

11 Likes

What a beautiful baby you got there!!

2 Likes

@lumpy Thank you!!! I am actually really happy about this guy. Didn’t know the lay date and the egg was rock hard and dehydrated when I purchased the parents. I just think it’s amazing how a bad egg can be brought back with some TLC.

2 Likes

I love the furry trait especially on yellows

2 Likes

Such a cute lil Crestie, congratulations.

How can you tell it’s going to be furry? I’m not great with ID on newborn cresties, yet!

3 Likes

@foxreptile the back crest. up close you can see its going to be a double row. just like dad.

2 Likes

Okay, I was only wondering as have a few cresties with the sporadic arrangement along the dorsal edge, but mine do not have the furry trait as they don’t have the thick or long crests to go with it and I was curious how you could tell so young - I want to learn as much as I can for when I get hatchlings (one day).

3 Likes

Congrats!! Looks like a patternless but more pics after she’s would be great for us to help you! :grin:

Doesn’t mean furry. We have quite a few here with raised dorsals, but really only 2 males of ours have the furry trait as it’s about the dorsal crests being raised but also longer than the usual etc and the head spikes also are usually long. Here’s spike for example. :blush:

5 Likes

2 of Spikes babies here. Raised dorsals, double, but only the bottom may be a furry as spikes are getting longer like him which they’d need to be. Looks awesome either way though! :blush:

5 Likes

@ghoulishcresties you can tell here this one is going to be a dual row furred like dad. (Who you helped identify lol) 2nd pic is dad.

3 Likes

Can’t see from them.
If they get long like the one I’ve shown you above then will be a furry. But need to be long like dads and you won’t know for sure til older. Ones above are 5 months. And you can see one is a furry and the other has them but not one as not long.
Oh I don’t know lol I get asked a lot!
He’s cool. :blush:

2 Likes

Also females are harder to find with the furry trait for some reason! Luckily ours above is female so now will be on lookout for a male for future.

So if yours does end up a furry and also a female I would hold back for a male with furry trait! :blush:

Extreme furry trait is amazing :star_struck:

2 Likes

@ghoulishcresties I’m definitely holding this one back in hopes of a female.

To days I’ve had 3 eggs hatch. 2 different pairings. So far they all look like their dads. Is the male always dominant? I was hoping some of these would be a mix between mom and dad. I have 5 eggs cooking 1 due any day but that one will probably be a Harley w/ ports like its sibling. But im hoping for an extreme contrast harley.

2 Likes

No males aren’t more dominant. Can end up like either. Also you’ll get some kinder surprises depending on lineage, grandparents etc! :blush:

Extremes are amazing! Hopefully you get some! Though would depend on lineage etc. I have had a couple so far this year with more touch wood on the way.

Looking forward to seeing more from yours! :grin:

1 Like

@ghoulishcresties good to know thank you. As always extremely helpful :smiley:

One thing, Make sure you write down the day of hatch! When I first started I never did and my gosh was a pain to remember! Now everyone is wrote down. With adults I have the Month and year as with some never given a day. And just keep a check on the weight. We weigh weekly ourselves here to make sure gaining nicely! :blush:
Keep us updated as he/she grows! Nice chunky baby!

1 Like

@ghoulishcresties great advice!!! I’ve been keeping track of all hatch dates and weights the best I can. I need a scale that can accurately weigh these little ones though. So tiny!!! LOL I personally hate when I inquire about and animal and the seller doesn’t know.

The worst!
I asked about one the other day and got ‘Oh around 3-5’
Ummm, Thankyou…? :sweat_smile: haha

1 Like

I’m going to keep all the info on a spreadsheet so it’s easier to access :blush:

I wouldn’t worry about what morph it is yet, it might turn out furry, it might not… it’s far to early to be able to tell for sure. Fingers crossed it is :crossed_fingers:

I Love baby pics

Extremes are one of my favourite, I can’t wait for my extremes to grow up so I can pair them :crossed_fingers:

3 Likes