Such a bleeding heart

I don’t typically post or participate (But I do lurk) but I guess I’ll post.

I have been content with my current collection volume. I used to have over 100 Ball Pythons plus some boas and hognoses here and there. I then moved to another state and sold the entire collection, however I kept all but 1 rack, the rat breeding rack, the mouse colony rack, and the full size and mini incubators. I refused to get back into the snake scene, until I suddenly didn’t and I had found myself up to eight balls. Again, content.

Current Collection
1.0 GHI yellowbelly/gravel pastel possible enchi (All Might)
1.0 Calico Blast (Bruno)
1.0 Mojave het pied, het hypo, ph VPI (Sidon)
1.0 Mahogany (Maui)
0.1 Pastel (Gamora)
0.1 Mojave het pied het hypo ph VPI (Urbosa)
0.1 Pastel Orange Dream (Elvira)
0.1 Het VPI het Pied (nameless so far)

I had no more plans on increasing the collection, at least not for a year. Until I just so happened to go with the husband to go shopping and we parked by where their dumpsters are located. I thought I saw movement so I looked closer. Someone had dumped out a tank and it piqued my interest. Except the tank had an inhabitant. I need to check the gender on it, but I was more focused getting it out of the heat, the sun, and watered/comfortable. It’s a mojave ball python. It has stuck shed everywhere, is currently in deep quarantine, but who in their right mind would do such a thing? Looking over it thoroughly, I’m not seeing any signs of mites (Though that COULD change), its breathing seems okay. Poor thing is a sad sight. However, he is not skinny, which is good.

Is the husband excited I now have another boopable noodle? Not necessarily, but he’s also still learning to be okay with the snakes (He used to be afraid).
So, I guess I am up to nine snakes. That’s fine, right? Just another addition to the zoo.

11 Likes

Awww… Poor little guy is lucky you showed up!
I’ve seen a few other people with posts about finding BPs or other exotics in random dumped situations…
Heck I was in a parking lot chasing down hamsters one night…

Hopefully he passes QT and settles in well.
If anything you can always look for a rescue that may help adopt him out as long as they can foster him with you.

I’d probably do the same if I was in your shoes though! I was lucky enough that my partner was good enough to bring 2 abandoned kittens home with him. We’re both bleeding hearts too!

5 Likes

Around here, the abandoned animals is becoming a problem. I actually have my cat from the same situation basically, except someone had dumped her while it was winter with pouring rain (luckily we were not snowing yet). At the time, vet said he was estimating she was a mere 6 weeks old. She’s thriving now and is a great addition (Even if she IS mischievous, but that’s what I get for naming her Magpie).

This new addition will have a home regardless, since I know it’ll be taken care of, fed watered and enjoyed, even if its just a pet. I am eager to discover its gender so I can eventually name it, but my one isn’t even named yet, so it’ll probably take a while.

I enjoy knowing others have bleeding hearts, makes me feel less alone in my decisions to rescue something haha!

6 Likes

Bless your heart for taking that poor baby in. Sounds like your husband is quite accommodating as well. It is very sad to think about how animals suffer at the hands of “humans”. You have a soft spot for sure!

It would be great to see some pics of some of your “new” collection! Also if you don’t mind it would be great if you would keep us updated on your rescued noodle! :blush:

4 Likes

I definitely should take some updated pictures of the crew.
Half of them are in the middle of shedding since they share similar feed schedules.

As soon as I feel it’s ready to be poked and prodded, I’ll at minimum update on its gender.

4 Likes

Hey that would be great!

And we can’t save them all at once but we can save them one at a time……

3 Likes

Awww, that little snake is very lucky you and your husband came along. I never fail to be horrified by such callousness and cruelty. Thank you for taking and taking on a creature in need. It’s really cool that your husband is accepting of the situation, too.

Looking forward to photos of everybody at some point.

3 Likes

Very glad you and your husband found that poor snake when you did. I can’t imagine just abandoning an animal by a dumpster. Some people really suck.

About half my current pets (all my mammals and one of my snakes) were rescues or rehomes of some sort, so I’m a bit of a bleeding heart myself. Never found an animal in a dumpster, but if I did, that animal would almost certainly be coming home with me.

Hope this new little one settles in well and turns out to be more or less healthy once the stuck shed and probable dehydration get resolved.

4 Likes