Suggestions for jumping spider enclosures

So I’m going to be getting one or possibly two jumping spiders pretty soon. I’ve been seeing them everywhere and finally decided that i will get one. The only issue is, I’m having trouble finding enclosures that don’t have reviews saying their spiders escaped and finding enclosures that aren’t very expensive. I’m just wondering what enclosures you guys are using that you might recommend. Im very excited to finally be getting jumping spiders and appreciate any recommendations for enclosures! Thank you!

6 Likes

The really cool thing about arachnids, is just about anything can be used as an enclosure. As long as the spider cant escape, and its the right size, then it can be used. Jumping spiders like to stay at the top of the enclosures so keep that in mind. Make it easy to open safely to feed them so they can’t escape. Those things can literally teleport!

5 Likes

Oh I am so excited for you! @caryl has a jumping spider. The habittat she has for her spider looks really cool :sunglasses:! I’m a sterilite tub person so I would probably use something along that line. Like @spottedbull says, pretty much anything escape proof goes…… :lizard::snake::frog::heart::blush:

3 Likes

Have you checked out tarantula cribs? They are a little expensive but jumping spiders don’t need large enclosure so it won’t be too bad and they look amazing.

4 Likes

Though am having major trouble with my jumping spider, I can second the recommend of Tarantula Cribs. Here’s a pic of the enclosure I put together for my subadult Regal:

I used decor sourced from different Etsy shops. There are also a ton of very fancy jumping spider enclosures you can find on Etsy.

Basically, you are looking for an enclosure that opens in the middle, so that your spider’s web won’t be disturbed every time you open it. Though bottom-opening enclosures would probably work too, they strike me as likely to be a bit more difficult to use. I’d love to hear input from someone who uses bottom-opening enclosures for adults.

If you want to make your own enclosure, you could use a deli container that opens clamshell-style, like this:

(Apologies for the crappy pic.)

4 Likes

I made an enclosure using two cups i got Dubias delivered in when i didn’t have a colony going. I just put them together with tape just like the delis in that picture. I do have a real enclosure coming soon but i do already have the jumper :slight_smile: I will show pictures of them both when i get her finished enclosure!

3 Likes

I wish I would quit reading these posts! Now I want a JS! I just can’t stand it! :joy::upside_down_face::face_with_peeking_eye: And I’m AFRAID of SPIDERS!!! Somebody stop me! Lol!

3 Likes

what enclosure did you go for?

3 Likes

I have Tarantula Cribs for all my spiders, and I really like them. Very well-made and sturdy, crystal clear, and very secure (and the website will tell you the size of ventilation and any gaps in the door, so you’ll know before you buy it if it will securely hold your invert). Only downside is that they are a bit pricey, but you get what you pay for.

If you want something cheap, an appropriately sized deli cup or Tupperware (or similar) container will work just fine if you add some ventilation. It just won’t be as easy to observe your animal inside as something that’s crystal clear, but not everyone cares about that. The spider certainly won’t care, so it’s just a matter of your personal preferences.

5 Likes

Ok i have her enclosure all set up with her in it! I’m not 100% sure if she’s a actually a she but i don’t really care either way. This enclosure is not completely done as i don’t have her food bowl or hide yet, but it’s good for now! I’m currently using a pot i made when i was young and a roll of spider web washi tape for the food bowl and hide lol. I’ll try to get some better pictures of her tomorrow but she’s already gotten comfy so I’m not gonna bother her right now. She also doesn’t have a name yet so i will be some name suggestions. (Maybe unisex names as im not 100% she’s a girl)

5 Likes

Oh I am so excited for you! Did you find her here on MM? If so don’t name the seller because I don’t think that would be kosher.

But I am excited to see how her progress goes. I plan to get one myself (enclosure ordered) but I am still waiting for my Borneo ST to be shipped (warmer weather) so after I get him then I will go JS shopping!

Congratulations again on your new little baby jumper! Can’t wait to see her? :smiling_face_with_three_hearts::blush:

3 Likes

Well i have a bit of news. So i got this spider from one of my friends who caught her in their backyard. They kept her for a while but decided they didn’t want her so i took her in. However, they are now deciding that they regret that and want her back. I don’t really mind this as i was planning on buying a captive bred one anyway and now we will both have a little jumper in our lives. So i well update you when i get my new baby!

Edit: i think i should say that i told them when taking her in that if they every changed their mind they could take her back. To be honest i didn’t expect it so soon but i think it’s for the better as I’m going to be leaving for a trip on Friday and won’t get back until Wednesday and would have to get someone to care for her during that time anyway.

3 Likes

I must say I have never seen a jumper in my backyard. Of course I probably wouldn’t have recognized one even if I saw one because I had never heard of them until I found MM! Lol! :upside_down_face:

4 Likes

Finally got food and water bowls as well as a hide in! I also added some springtails because my cultures are currently overflowing with them lol. Now all that’s left for me to get is the actual spider. I’m on a waiting list for some little baby girls so i should be getting one in the next two to three weeks!

6 Likes

I am so excited for you! Let us know when you get her!!! I am still waiting for my Borneo baby boy! The weather has been too cold to ship safely. Btw, my spring tail culture is overflowing too! Not so much my isos though……. :laughing:

3 Likes