Suriname Het Hypo + Snow Het Moonglow

Hi everyone! New here :blush: I nanny for a family & also take care of their pets. Two of their snakes are a Suriname boa & a Snow boa. They can’t 100% remember what their recessives are but they think they are a Suriname Het Hypo & a Snow Het Moonglow. Does this sound right or make any sense? I’ve been researching it hard core for a week. Also, the reason I’m asking is because when they got them, about 6/7 years ago, they were told that if they bread them they would make amazing babies. I tried the morph calculator but had some trouble so if anyone could help me out with this I’d greatly appreciate it because I’m pretty sure they’re currently mating & am curious about what the babies genes could be & what they would look like :heart_eyes: Thanks so much to anyone who takes the time to read this &/or replies, I greatly appreciate it!

4 Likes

First issue is hypo is not a recessive trait.
Secondly Snows cannot be het for Moonglow because of the fact that snows are visual albino and visual anery, and to make them a moonglow would mean that it would have to have hypo. Which would bring me back to issue one that hypo is not a recessive mutation.

3 Likes

Welcome to the community :blush::wave:

First thing, that picture is adorable! :heart_eyes:

I’m going to tag @mattcookreptiles because I know he knows his boas like the back of his hand. Anything I get wrong he will likely be able to correct.

So in boas “hypo” is not a recessive gene like it is in Ball Pythons, so there is no “het hypo”… just “hypo” and “super hypo”. Going from that picture I’m going to say the top snake is your hypo.

A moonglow is hypo + albino + anery1. (Snow + hypo)
This means there is no “het moonglow” as again hypo isn’t recessive. You could have a hypo double het albino anery though.

We can help you out if you can share some pictures of the pair… Here is a Guide in asking for Morph Identification Help

Edit: @lumpy beat me to it :wink:

4 Likes

Do you have pictures of the albino ones tail? That’ll let us know if its a snow or not. Every one above is correct about hypo being a visual gene, either it is one or it isn’t.

Also, the top one is not a Suriname boa. Suriname is a boa locality that has a particular look, and they do not have any morphs associated with them to make hets.

4 Likes

@lumpy @eaglereptiles @mattcookreptiles Thanks for the responses guys… here’s a few photos I just snapped… also my boss said she picked the snow because of how purple he was as a baby… the one they thought was a Suriname also has that rainbow look to her in better lighting…

1 Like

@eaglereptiles So if we breed the hypo to the snow we could get Moonglow?

Is that the enclosure they are always kept in? Or are they just together for breeding?

Not unless the hypo is het for snow. You will just get a bunch of hets. Not sure if that snake is actually hypo either.

There is no hypo, so no moonglows. You can produce more snows however if the normal one is het for anery and albino.

1 Like

@mattcookreptiles Any idea what I should tell them they are? Or possibly could be? Think she’s more of a normal or Colombian boa?

They are just together for breeding… she recently had a growth spurt so they’re building a much larger enclosure for her

She almost appears to be a jungle BI, but you can’t really say with knowing the parents, regardless you’ll find out very soon if she has babies!

2 Likes

Can anyone help me identify these two boas along with baby possibilities? Male is the snow.

2 Likes

Hey there. I’m seeing jungle BI and not Suriname (which is a locality in BC, not an imperator morph). If you paired a jungle and a snow you’d get normals and jungles double het albino and anery. If your jungle is het albino and/or anery you’ll see albinos and/or snows in the mix as well.

Glad to hear they’re getting a more appropriate enclosure as well, good luck.

3 Likes

Thanks for the help! Really appreciate it. What does jungle BI & imperator morph mean?

Thanks so much for all your help, I really appreciate it. What does jungle BI mean though?

Jungle is a morph, Bi is the species (Boa Imperator)

4 Likes