Surprise Western Hognose Eggs, Part 2

Froggy is absolutely amazing. Course the entire clutch is. Some amazing variations in patterns and colors.

1 Like

@ashleyraeanne Yep, big anime eyes.

@meerkatlyndz I’m really happy with the reds in some of them. Hard to tell how the hets will come out when both parents are a different visual recessive.

@rickg Thanks for sharing your story, that’s awesome!

Quick update guys: Froggy ate! She didn’t seem at all interested in the mouse tail, so I tried a pinky head, waited a bit, and then had to pick her up before she seemed interested in anything, but I finally got her to take it by the nose and it went down! This one was a bit smaller than the last one, so I’m sure that helped.

I don’t know why she won’t eat unless I hold her or touch her with my fingers. I think it might be the heat, since pinkies don’t stay warm very long. Either that or she likes the SCENT OF HUMAN FLESH… but if I have to touch her to get her to eat I don’t mind.

Rodney is still holding out on me, but he has good body tone so I’m not too worried about it. I’ll try tuna flavor next time. He wasn’t too impressed with the vienna sausage.

5 Likes

Omg yay Froggy!

1 Like

Sad news guys, Froggy didn’t make it. In spite of the pinky heads, she lost weight rather quickly after that first meal. I think there must have been something wrong with her digestive system. I know there’s not much to pinky heads to begin with, but after a few of them she was thinner than Rodney, who still hasn’t eaten anything yet.

By yesterday she was skin and bones and very lethargic. She skipped the meal I offered her last night and this morning she wasn’t moving. I knew when she hatched that she might not survive, but that doesn’t make it any easier.

I fed her body to one of my kingsnakes this morning. Rest in peace, little one.

4 Likes

Aww that is so sad…I was really hoping she would pull through. How is the rest of the clutch doing?

3 Likes

I’m so sorry you lost froggy, we all know that you did your best for her. Has Rodney eaten? I was watching a snake discovery video about hard to start baby hog noses and they had luck with a chicken heart. Seems strange but she had a baby that seemed fine but just wouldn’t eat but he ate a chicken heart.
Good luck, all of your babies are awesome.

Damn and here I was rooting for the noseless wonder. I guess though nature has a way of making sure things like that won’t somehow be spread through offspring. Still sad. She was a cute little thing.

1 Like

Kobe, Covid, Nearly Headless Nick, now Froggy?

Mercy @2020 my heart can’t take much more!

4 Likes

Nearly headless nick was just the best. Cant help but love him

1 Like

@nathan_e The rest are doing great! Aside from Rodney, all the others are chowing down on f/t pinky mice every week.

@xamier Not yet. I’ve never had one hold out on me this long before, but he still has good body tone so I’m going to try a few more flavors.

1 Like

Good news guys, about a week ago I finally found something Rodney likes the taste of. (It’s been a busy work week, so I haven’t been on much.)

Eggs. Just good ol’ hardboiled chicken eggs. I fed him small chunks of one, since whole egg is much too big. I’m going to give him a few more meals and then try to egg scent the pinky mice and see if he goes for it.

He’s such a beautiful boy. I’m glad he decided to eat for me.

4 Likes

That’s awesome! I have one girl out of the 6 I hatched out that still hasn’t eaten as well… so I’ll have to try hard boiled egg with her then.

Whoops, posted before I was done typing.
My other ones are eating unscented pinkies, most are taking f/t and a couple take live.

1 Like