Swollen eye, suspect blocked lacrimal duct

Just keep in mind that radiographs are not generally an ideal way to look at soft tissue, and occasionally useless, especially when it comes to such incredibly small structures against bone (the skull). If anything I think she should have done a fluorescein stain to check for patency before you’d do something that costs more & will likely give less information. Generally a fluourescein stain will be much more affordable than several x-rays (one view is almost never sufficient) and a radiologist consult (which you should always ask for if you have x-rays taken, trust me).

3 Likes

The issue with the fluorescein as it was explained to me is that it needs a vet that is intimately aware of the procedure, which isnt always available. Where as an xray just needs a radiologist, which is far easier to find. Also so far as i know, the fluorescein is diagnostic as in, it will confirm if there is a blockage, but will not actually show what the blockage is. An X-Ray is better when a blockage is known, and you are trying to find the cause of the block. My mindset was to assume there is a block since the problem is recent according to the seller, which should mean it is a block or stuck eyecap. When i return home, she should be shed, and as such, if the problem persists, it would stand to logic that the issue is a blocked duct, which removes the need to do a fluorescein test. Unless i am misunderstanding what the procedure is. I know some procedures exist to essentially inject dye so when an xray is done, the fluorescent material shows where the problem is. Were that the case, a combination of the 2 could help quickly ID where the problem is, and help figure out a plan of action for treatment.

Thanks! Hoping to get everything taken care of within the month :slight_smile:

Hey i have a question regarding your noodles poor little eye. My retic kahn has the same issue he got it after rubbing and pushing a lot. We’re treating that right now and this same issue with the eye arrose can you pleaee help with treatment or should i seek vet?

Im not sure if your situation will be the same as mine, i did seek vet help, but nothing ever came of it. The eye has remained swollen throughout and the snake doesnt seem bothered. It sheds fine, and eats fine, but the eye never reduced in size. That said, my case may be genetic. If yours is from an injury, it may be worth looking into vet care to ensure there is no infection and the eye is not lost. I would hate for you to see mine has not caused major issue and assume the same in your case, and something bad come of it. But for my case there has really been no treatment, it just is this way and has been since i got them.