Tadpole ID help

I visited a nice wild life sanctuary yesterday! Was very nice place, we didn’t go too far in on the trails cause I got distracted exploring every small fallen log

I didn’t find too much in the herping aspect but I did find a really big group of tadpoles! But I’m terrible at frog/toad ID and can’t ID tadpoles at all. I’m hoping the photos I took may be more useful ID wise to someone else? I’m not exactly sure what goes into tadpole ID

But for location reference I live in mid Illinois!

6 Likes

To me, they look like bullfrog tadpoles. Just because they are size-able as tadpoles and have large numbers of them too.

5 Likes

I was actually thinking the same thing, but I don’t know much about tadpoles. Since they are all densely together I’m guessing that it was a small body of water, which is typical of bullfrogs since they will lay their eggs in a small body of water and then the male will dig a canal to a larger body of water once the tadpoles are bigger.

4 Likes

We used to buy bullfrog tadpoles for our small pond back in NY, but our red ear sliders though different lol. They would be eaten in a day our two :disappointed_relieved:. So we just started buying them for snacks for the turtles.

4 Likes

Ah! They might have been! We tend to get quite a few bullfrogs around here.

It was a small pond actually, wouldn’t have had any fish outside of minnow sized things I’d think, this was the far end of it by a big pile of branches. I’m not super versed on amphibians so I wasn’t sure :0

3 Likes