Tegu substrates

I was curious as to what everyone uses for substrate??

1 Like

From what I have heard, most people use a mix of sterilized potting soil, mulch, and a small amount of gravel/sand. This is because tegus/monitors need to have a large amount of substrate to dig/burrow.

Thats what i have but am concerned about impaction. Seems like she eats some when eating her food…

1 Like

At least the people that I have read from. That is normal, some use plates or tiles to place food on. You feed off tongs, right? Maybe try smaller pieces if she is having to try to rip it into small pieces for herself.

No i do not use tongs. She is grouchy

1 Like

By grouchy, do you mean that she will not take them off the tongs or do you mean that she has food aggression?
If she has food aggression you can use a method called “target training” to turn on that feed response when you are feeding her.
And if she won’t take it off the tongs, then it is just time and work trying to transition her to accepting food off tongs.

1 Like

I put her food in a bowl n she eats when shes hungry. She rarely eats when im around. She woke up from hibernation not a big fan of me. Once shes Out shes fine, but… shes a work in progress… still young

2 Likes