Tegus, retics banned in Alabama, 😞 90 days to get permit

Tegus, retics, soft furred rats and others have been banned in Alabama. Beginning October 15 we will have 90 days to get a restricted possession permit.Has anyone applied for Department of conservation and natural resources permit?
I know I need to apply but I also fear they will arbitrarily take my Tegu and super dwarf retic. My animals are well kept, I just don’t trust the department conservation and natural resources.
I hope this will be a matter of getting a PIT tag, filling out a form, sending a picture, and paying a fee.
I would feel better if someone who has a permit could describe the process.
Thank you for any help or advice you can offer.

6 Likes

I cannot speak to the how-to aspect of this but I would advocate two things:

1. Whether or not you trust the DCRN you need to get the permit. If you refuse to get it and end up getting caught then that is a bigger black mark on you specifically and the hobby more broadly
  2. Perhaps try reaching out to USARK and see if they can put you in touch with someone local that might be able to help you. USARK has a lot of different “boots-on-the-ground” folk in each state, I have to imagine one of them can steer you in the right direction
8 Likes

Thanks, I know I have to get the permits and I guess feed off my soft furred rats before the final deadline.
I sent a message to usark just now.

3 Likes

I’ve kept my eye on that for some time. I was hopeful they wouldn’t pass it.
I’m sorry Betty, hopefully you can get a permit to keep your retic. I know how much you enjoy that guy.

7 Likes

Thanks, hopefully it won’t be too hard to get the permits, especially since Little Big Snake is a Super Dwarf. I do worry about my Tegu though. If I have to rehome him it may be hard (I’m pretty sure I could find a home for my dwarf Retic.)

4 Likes

I am so sorry that this happening to you, I can’t even fathom how awful this is for you. I hope that it all works out with the permits

2 Likes

I’m sure you’ll be able to find a home for little big snake, if the permit doesn’t come through.
And I know some zoos will take in larger reptiles like your tegu. I’m not the biggest fan of doing that, but some zoos are ok and it does offer a last option for you if need be.

1 Like

Hey everyone,
Thank you all for being so supportive and understanding. My husband tries but be is afraid of my reptiles and doesn’t understand how much one can care deeply for a lizard or snake.
Anyway, I have been in contact with the Alabama dept of conservation. I have a permit application and an appointment with our reptile vet to microchip them.( they had to order smaller chips for Little Big Snake) So far it is looking good.

7 Likes

Heck yeah! Nice work and I hope it continues to show promise for you. Good to see you were able to get the permit application, great start to what I hope allows you to keep your animals.
And don’t worry, my fiancĂ©e is the same way lol. She doesn’t understand the connection I have with my snakes, and doesn’t even particularly like them. But everyone is different and at least they accept they mean something to us :).

4 Likes