The babies have left mommas back!

I saw 2 babies running about the enclosure and they have their 1st suit of armor! :scorpion::shield: mom is still standing over her babies and im not sure how many of the brood are alive. ( hopefully many ) :pray: mom is still hypervigilant so im not going to attemp to separate them just yet, when female scorpions have babies or are gravid they become pretty agressive, no need to have her attempting to sting or get stressed.

Here’s a couple of pictures of the babies. Those pebbles kinda give reference to how small they are, the pebbles are like what you may see on a succulent pot.

11 Likes

Nice to hear that the brood and mama are progressing in a healthy way! So small, and so many changes ahead.

2 Likes

I think its funny those pebbles are already pretty small and baby makes them look large :joy:

2 Likes

So cute and tiny! :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

I hope they continue to grow and thrive for you! Glad that mom doesn’t seem to be snacking on her babies!

4 Likes

Thank you i do too. Mom is being a real good mother she is very protective and she feeds her babies prekilled crickets i put in the enclosure

3 Likes

Yay!! Hooray for your good mother scorpion! How long will she and the babies stay together?

2 Likes

Maybe until 2i possibly 3i but she runs the risk of cannibalism or they 2 each other. Im slowly seperating them as the wander about. Momma is still super protective and aggressive so im trying to figure a way to safely get her separated, this is another reason i have like 12" tongs, no way im sticking my hand near by.

I have to use a plastic spoon to try and gently scoop the babies up since they are tiny. She more or less is guarding her log so she isnt running after me so that good. The spoon definitely puts me in her range so im glad she is just guarding her hide.

3 Likes

You could get a plastic bowl and cover her hide with it, if that is possible. Or a piece of cardboard to put between her and you while you collect babies.

4 Likes

Wahay, congratulations :grin:

1 Like

Sounds like separating the brood calls for steady nerves and a steady hand.

3 Likes

It definitely does, the babies are fast but delicate. The mom is the only one to worry about but she mostly stays in her log. I keep her well fed with fresh kill insects so she doesn’t eat her babies. Im still waiting on some scorplings boxes so i can get more babies away from mom. They more or less avoid her now and some huddle together, some have staked out their own place in the enclosure. Im glad i have so many baby roaches now, they are perfect for the babies.

3 Likes

Here momma finally left her log and she was threat posing for no particular reason :scorpion: :woman_shrugging:.

I seized the opportunity to separate her in the enclosure with a clear acrylic book end. She still has access to heat and a hide but cannot be a threat to the babies.

I’ve been having issues with Amazon not delivering my packages and had to reorder the little scorplings boxes to separate the babies. It looks like i have 17 healthy babies, not sure how many if any mom may have eaten. Just hoping this doesn’t distress mom too much.

Once the babies reach 3i they will be available although id have to figure out setting up shop.

One baby just hanging out on a leaf. Most of the babies stay close to each other but some definitely are loners.

5 Likes

Mom and baby picture. I tgink they are beautiful :scorpion: :heart:

4 Likes

I find it fascinating that even creatures so young and so tiny have their own personalities. It doesn’t surprise me that individuals are individual, it’s what I know to be true. But it’s always a source of wonder.

1 Like

I can see several that have their own unique personality.

1 Like

Nature is just so cool. :grin:

1 Like

Here is one of the babies catching a baby roach. The roach is about the same size. Luckily these roaches have soft bodies that the scorpions aculeus can easily pierce. The roach wont feed on the scorpions like crickets will.
20221011_193703

My nursery 2i get kept in these small snap top boxes until they reach 3i. Its a lot of work feeding 30 scorpions. The small snap tops help ensure that the babies get fed, too large of enclosure they will have harder time catching the prey. At 3i i transfer them to 12oz 4.5 rounds after they get past 4i ( depending on their size i may give them the 12x12. Even though scorpions typically stake out one place and stay there i want them to have a bit of freedom to move about as they choose.
20221011_194046
4i Hottentotta Tamulus and Leiurus Heberti
20221011_190035
20221011_185437

4 Likes

Very cool, those are great pictures of the babies!

2 Likes

Thank you i try my best with my phone and vision problems glad they turned out good.

1 Like

Wow what a difference 2 weeks makes! Such a change from week 1 to week 2.

I hope i remember to take weekly update pic to show off all the changes. Its just so amazing to watch.

3 Likes