The canadian Market for reptile in general and ball python .. šŸ’€

So ,im trying to shop but there not much of what i want available or even genes like at all .Im assuming that people are holding on to dear live to their project here with he current market or it may not even be available at all here yet .

I would have to do all my project from scratch which Iā€™m fine with but it kind of hit me in the face that we are 100% WAY behind the USA market ,we dont have many shows either .I dont plan to export any animal either and sell to canadian only has a hobbyist /collectioner .I also remark there plenty of female for sale but i NEED a male .i also check the other category of reptile for the canadian market and it just sad nothing is available and the one that is have not maybe 1 or 5 ads and that it .there like what? 10 cornsnake ,2 kenya sand boa and 2 Honduran milk snake available hereā€¦

im pretty sure the usa is just another story and every reptile is getting attention not the case here there not even a big monitor breeder on morphmarket cad .even if i would want to become big (i dont) obviously i will have to export out of the Canadian market which i think it suck. I want to sell to my Canadian people only and grown our market. and yes i would like to breed other species other then ball python but the market is dead because people dont buy or too scare to branch out ball python ? :woman_shrugging:t2:

1 Like

I donā€™t know how to process that. Are you looking for Canadian Ball Python breeders?

1 Like

No there plenty animals i have on the side ā€¦Just many hets recessive animal with no other interesting gene stack on them. Most of these animals has maybe 1 dominant gene and 2-3 but way more expensive .im debating if it worth it because most are either gene i donā€™t want in my project or animal that i will have to work those gene in and out and for a first project unless Iā€™m extremely lucky will take 8 years + .And have no idea if it even worth my time .

I feel the really good stuff right now is not sold at all here or too rare to be sold when it way more common in the USA. people are keeping those hets and visual animals .Making it hard to even start a simple project that is fun to do for someone new . (one that not too basic ) But if that continue i be forced to go with clown or pied (i kinda would like pied) but i have het red axanthic and dont want to do only high white,i like them but i dont think most people do ā€¦ i want to do something new but the stock is very umm well normals with recessive hets .

1 Like

An easier solution than starting with less genes and hets, would be to simply find a breeder that exports. The cost to go from US to Canada is of course going to be more than normal shipping, but if itā€™s an expensive animal thatā€™ll jumpstart your project, itā€™s worth it.

Something Iā€™d consider if I were you

6 Likes

i did check but i donā€™t have that type of money to export because i will end up with an animal that worth even less than what on the Canadian market just because of the exportation fees and Iā€™m debating hard with myself if tri-stripe is worth my time at all.

the look of tri-stripe can be easily destroyed with other genes making a visual that donā€™t have THE look of a tri-stripe ;/. i donā€™t know this project feel like the monsoon that you can mess the pretty pattern easily ā€¦I donā€™t want a bunch of poss. het unless it worth it .i like the look of tri stripe but there a big but. I could get some ultramel/monarch or toffee i do like ā€œcuteā€ ball python but also the very dark stuff .

2 Likes

There are breeders in Canada, not sure how far of a drive it would be to you. Mutation Creation (Ontario) and DPR coldblood (Quebec) come to mind.

1 Like

oh i know i already contact dpr coldblood ,Billy did not had something that i want right now that is up on his page .I contact many sellers of animals that i may get. It just none of them has 100% what Iā€™m searching for and will have to make it :wink:

1 Like

I guess Iā€™m just having a hard time understanding what exactly youā€™re looking for. IF the animal isnā€™t available at all in your market, then you canā€™t really compare prices. Whatever price you are paying for it + export fees are going to be the value of the animal. If youā€™re planning on breeding, you canā€™t look at the cost of an animal and then assume youā€™ll make money off babies, you have to consider the prices will drop in the 2-3 years that it takes you to raise it to maturity.

What do you consider to be ā€œthat kind of moneyā€? if youā€™re looking at Tri-stripe combos, those are $2k usd and up from what Iā€™m seeing for a quick search. You might have to spend $200-300 to import it to Canada, but if thatā€™s what you want, its worth it if you canā€™t get it where you are.

You canā€™t simply just say itā€™s worth it vs not worth it based on $ value alone. A lot of factors go into it. Like I said, if you canā€™t get it where you are, then there really isnā€™t a comparison.

edit: I may be slightly off on price saying $200-300, depending on location. I just know that I imported a gargoyle gecko from Canada and the shipping + export cost me $150. and I also could be off even more depending on it being a CITES animal vs non-CITES.

edit#2: doing a bit more looking into it, and it may be worth while to try to get in touch with breeders that regularly export from US to Canada, and arrange for an animal to be added to a bulk shipment, which would spread the cost of the shipment out and make it cheaper for you as well.

3 Likes

Some breeders will even include free shipping (usually past $1k) to Canada. Iā€™ve seen that quite a few times on listings or in peopleā€™s store TOS, so thatā€™s always an option in case you find a breeder you really like (that offers that free shipping) and get several animals :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Honestly, I would say if the canadian market just isnā€™t saturated enough then it isnā€™t. Probably either get a snake imported from the USA or take a trip down here and go to a few expos. I recommend NY expos like the metro expo in white plains because it would be less of a trip than like florida for example. Or you could make a worth while trip and do a florida expo. NY expos happens every few months, last one was yesterday. I went and picked up two very very beautiful 4 gene balls for less than $1k, and there were hundreds and hundreds of balls there. Every other table is balls. There are always tons and tons of stacked genes balls, one of mine was a banana cinnamon special het clown. Not something that even the USA market is super saturated with. You could pick up a few snakes for sure and start breeding back home, and definitely make friends. Lots of people are super nice and would be happy to be second hand sellers for you. The breeders that sold me the male special I bought yesterday go by the name ā€œTylerā€™s Toxic Ballsā€ and have an instagram and such. Great people and literally just started striking up a convo with me about some of their favorite morphs and showing me pictures of a mystery snake they have with a possible brand new gene. He even tried to sell me one of the mystery gene babies but I refused as I donā€™t have the space or money to prove out a brand new gene. And the other snake they had I was looking at happened to share my birthday so it was meant to be. These guys go to every NY expo as they live there, and I am so so confident if you reached out they would be more than happy to bring your snakes and function as second hand sellers provided you arenā€™t keeping all of your babies for the canadian market. I highly suggest that you try this as you really cannot go wrong. You will find the snakes you are looking for to start your program, and have a way to sell some given they donā€™t all sell back home.

1 Like

i which i could but i donā€™t have the type of money to go farther than my own province ā€¦Canadian Gouvernement right now is a mess and im keeping that money for my daughter and for my project. I saw 2 new post of snake that i actually really want ,i be able to make 2 het with poss het and super down the line. Hopefully they donā€™t get sold if they do i get a new hatchling with a similar pairing and hopefully will be available before this autumn or i will have to wait next summer and people will hopefully have what i need. :hugs:

It sounds good but I wills ah that hets and possible hets are not exactly what you want to go for. Provided theyā€™re new posts it will take a few years before youā€™d na breed them and get some hets. After that you have another few years before proving out all of your hets and maybe getting some visuals. Regardless it is a good plan, I would just however recommend that you hop on the USA market and import a snake that you really want and will really kickstart your project. The main reason for this is if youā€™re talking about working a het into your collection Iā€™m assuming you donā€™t have that gene at all and the snake youā€™re eyeing up is het for it. Since you cannot go het to het in this scenario I would suggest holding out for a visual as guaranteeing your hets is worth it. Havenā€™t to prove out these snakes takes years and you could just hit a fluke. However, I am not saying what you are doing is bad, if you want to go for hets and possible hets that is fine and still works. I am just trying to provide other options that may or may not be better depending on your situation. Anyways, whatever you decide, I hope that you get some gorgeous clutches.

1 Like

what would be your take if it a gene that even usa dont have or it not work with and recessive? do you think it worth more my time ? or i really should aim for guarantee het and visual?

Most people will tell you to save time you should do a visual x visual. However, with whatever youā€™re trying to create; the males at least have a year after being hatched to be used to move your project forward and any female you plan to use will take 2+ years

You should look at this as ā€œIs this worth my time and how much is my time worthā€

2 Likes

If itā€™s something that even the USA isnā€™t working with yet and you can get your hands on a single het to breed for possible hets and eventually visuals go for it. Something like that may take a decade or even longer to start getting visual hets and combos. It would be nothing but profits for you (provided it looks cool) if you exported to the USA. Take Sunset for example, very few combos created yet but it looks awesome and since there are so few of them they are worth thousands. Once again provided this snake looks cool, it would be worth thousands being so rare, lots of experienced and well known USA breeders would be jumping at the chance to get their hands on an animal like that and start working with it to create some amazing combos.

1 Like

yep, Iā€™m split i could make poss het maple / poss het sunset or double het orange ghost clown batman combos/powerball. The struggle to pick is really hard for me .They all seem worth my time too. All the combos will be 100% het orange ghost

1 Like

At least in the US I see orange ghost around here and there so they arenā€™t that rare. However itā€™s a different story for Sunset and Maple.
Now Sunset is really cool and if you wanted to work towards some worlds firsts right away that would work as the market is starting to fill up with some of them. Iā€™m actually eyeing up a juvenile het to het pair for $1200 with the possibility of an Enchi, Yellowbelly, Sunset, het Clown in their first clutch. Now if youā€™re going for possible hets, Sunset isnā€™t worth it. As gorgeous as it is, het sunsets are starting to become affordable and in a decade when you start producing sunset combos starting with a possible het they just wonā€™t have been worth your time. I think because Sunset isnā€™t an enhancer gene really like say Desert Ghost, it wonā€™t hold its value. Desert Ghost is holding its value because it makes EVERYTHING look better, Sunset on the other hand needs to BE enhanced. Sort of like a base gene. Actually kind of similar to Bamboo IMO because from what Iā€™ve seen not many things actually really affect its pattern or really its color that much.
Maple is kind of interesting. There have only ever been six postings of Maple on MM for the US and they are all by the same person. Two of which sold for $10,000 and the rest are on sale for either $10k or $15k. If you had to ask me, Maple is really the only thing ā€˜worthā€™ starting with possible hets on.
However, itā€™s really up to you and what you like, money isnā€™t the only factor. Itā€™s just that if youā€™re starting with possible hets then by the time you start creating combos the world would have moved on to the next gene, which in this case could actually be Maple. So you could get ahead on that which is amazing. And besides the money, just getting your hands on an animal like a Maple is absolutely amazing to me. Regardless, itā€™s still up to you so let me know what you decide!

oh, the orange ghost part is not going to be poss het, my female is visual. i want to make anything ā€œhypoā€ whatever the male i choose. :wink:
I made another post and people are not sure if maple is the same has ultramel ,i dont think so but maybe you have another opinion. apparently shed test say otherwise but i donā€™t know if it true. if that the case i wonā€™t go with maple their a huge price difference. i could get a visual combo for basically peanutā€¦

Maple is supposed to be in between ultramel and one other gene Iā€™m blanking on right now. So far only one person is selling them. At least publicly. So do as you wish, I just personally think it might be a little late to jump into the Sunset game with possible hets. Het to het, totally, possible hets just put another generation of snakes between your project taking off.

Would it be Monarch?