The clutch that blew my socks off

These guys just hatched out and I had to share. Pairing was Enchi Pied x OD Vanilla Scream. I can’t believe how amazing these little guys are.

Pretty sure I already know the genetics on them, but I’m gonna wait until the first shed to be certain. Definitely keeping the OD stuff.

That last one takes my breath away every time I look at him. I wasn’t planning on keeping a male, but I’d be crazy to let him go.

19 Likes

He is an absolute smoke show for sure! Super nice man! Love it! The whole clutch is nice but you have a couple that are just wow!

4 Likes

He’s a beaut! And the one before also! :heart_eyes:

3 Likes

I’m doing super vanilla orange dream and vanilla cream orange dream pairings next year! Seeing yours has got me a bit more excited lol! Congratulations for real nice stuff! Do you have pictures of the vanilla cream orange dream from the pairing? Would love to see that! What are you working towards with this project? Super interested!

2 Likes

Yeah, the OD really makes the last two. #4 is a female to boot!

4 Likes

Nice! I’ve gotta say I could take or leave the pastel. It looks great combined with the other genes, but on it’s own it wouldn’t have done much. I also think that without the enchi it would’ve been a less than stellar clutch.

Do you mean the OD Vanilla Scream? She was the mother. I’ve attached a few photos in different lighting, but you can see she’s a real looker. Got her from Luis Rodriguez of Slapshot Reptiles, another Bakersfield breeder.

12 Likes

Visual pied combos, for starters. I might also work these into clown pieds and/or axanthic pieds in the future. I’ve already got a few double het axanthic pied females I’m raising up and I’m going to start working on clown pied stuff as soon as my male spotnose clown is big enough to breed. Probably next year.

3 Likes

Not a fan honestly :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

Yes love her! I call my project “orange cream” I’m shooting for super vanilla super orange dream. Pairing my spotnose orange dream vanilla to all my fire/vanilla/disco females next year!

Totally agree definitely adds to the combos for sure!

Very nice! I’m two weeks out from a pastel pied pos het gcr x het gcr het pied clutch! I’m trying to get to hypo gcr pied in that project!

2 Likes

You can really see the orange dream influence in the blushing with your gal! Big fan!

1 Like

Very nice. I’d love to get some disco into the mix at some point. Especially if I got the clown pied route.

I’ve gotta admit I’ve seen some really nice GCR Axanthics on MM and I’ve been tempted to scrap the VPI and go with that instead. Problem is my VPI Axanthic female is just such a sweetheart that I can’t bear to part with her.

1 Like

I recommend it lol but I may be biased! I’ve produced vpi and tsk in the past but scraped all of them when I got into GCR. The gcr line originates from St. Louis so a lot of the St. Louis breeders have switched over! I was lucky enough to get my entire gcr project in trade for an extremely large quantity of feeder rats lol.

Are you sure neither parent has calico? Those two enchi combos really look like they have calico.

4 Likes

I was thinking the same thing! The last two pictures especially look like they are washed out from calico/sugar. Or that could lend evidence towards pied indeed being a incomplete dominant gene. Definitely something going on lol

5 Likes

I’m sure the father didn’t have it. I’ve had plenty of hatchlings from him and none of them looked like this. Kinda hard to tell with the mother, but I suppose I could ask the guy I got her from.

I assumed it’s mostly the het pied influence along with all the other genetics. Multiple genes can destroy pattern sometimes and a lot of my het pieds have less pattern as you get closer to the tail. The mother is also 66% het hypo, but I don’t have any hypo in my collection and I haven’t had any experience with it, so I’m not even gonna try to guess if she’s carrying it.

1 Like

@snowgyre and @saleengrinch: So I talked to Luis and you’re right! Turns out there’s sugar in the mix. Nice eyes, guys! I can’t believe how much I lucked out with that girl.

6 Likes

That’s awesome! And now I’m thinking might have to pop my coral glow calico citrus fire male into the orange cream project! :upside_down_face:

5 Likes

That sounds like a wonderful idea :crazy_face::fire:

2 Likes

Hah! Thought so, glad to know it’s been confirmed. You certainly did luck out with that girl!

So today I got to thinking and I decided I’m gonna name the last one Julius because the parts of his pattern that melt together look like an orange julius. I looked up the ingredients to the drink online and it turns out vanilla and sugar are in them. Not sure if he’ll prove fire or vanilla, but I think I found the perfect name.

2 Likes

Definitely love the name, very cute