The famous question, what gender is my gecko?

Hi guys! I just got this little one, 50% het axanthic :yum::raised_hands:t2::crossed_fingers:t2: Super excited.

But I’m curious what other people think the gender could be. They are 8g. I won’t say what I think they are. I know they are young, but I’m just curious of guesses others might have.

Thanks!

1 Like

It’s hard to tell with the age, but I think I see pores, so I would say male.

4 Likes

Yep I know these will all be guesses at their size. I was curious if others would think possible male also. Could they be pseudo pores? Do you personally believe in the overlapping scale theory for males?

Thanks!

1 Like

I think I see pores, what I’m looking at could be something else, but at this age, if there are pores there, it’s very likely a male. I’ve never heard of the overlapping scale theory, but I don’t think it would be very reliable overall, and very hard to determine at this age. The other method is to tell based on the sheen of the scales (and I’ve noticed this with my adult male), but without other to compare it to and the age, it’s not very reliable.

3 Likes

I totally agree. Yes I’ve heard of the sheen theory as well. Thanks for your thoughts! I appreciate it

1 Like

I’m still learning, so not confident, but I also think male. :blush:

3 Likes

Thanks! :yum: I’m hoping he is male. But I wasn’t sure if me wanting him to be male was making me see pores :joy:

1 Like

I see pores, I’d say male.

How much does he weigh?

3 Likes

I see Pores :blush:

2 Likes

They weigh 8g

1 Like

Not that it always means anything.
When I’ve had babies here at 2/3g with pores then others not show til 10+ :woman_facepalming:t2:

They like to keep me on my toes I tell ya! :rofl:

1 Like