THE KING OF All ISOPODS

Orange Expansus

15 Likes

Very cool! How big are they?

3 Likes

Adults can reach 35mm (1.37 inches) in length!

From https://isopodapet.com/product/porcellio-expansus/

4 Likes

Love the white spots that they have.

3 Likes

Amazing! I’ve been considering some isopods, these are gorgeous!

2 Likes

Fun fact: these pillbug rolly-polly isopods aren’t bugs at all but are instead crustaceans like shrimp, lobster, crayfish and crabs are.

4 Likes

I really like when you drop fun facts for us

3 Likes

I’m not 100% sure if the roly-poly pillbugs and isopods are the same thing but ya the roly-poly pillbugs are apparently crustaceans and not insects or arachnids…still in the invert phylum arthropoda though. Another random fact: Fungi like mushrooms, molds, yeast etc are more closely related to the Animal kingdom than the Plant one even though mushrooms may seem more like a plant. They are heterotrophic (need to eat other things for food) like animals instead of autotrophic (making own food ie photosynthesis) like plants…at least for the most part anyway…

3 Likes

I actually knew this one!! I love fun facts, and sharing them makes it better

3 Likes

These are cool!
We have a few different types here, but My fav though by far are the dairy cows. Have a big ol colony going I just love them :sweat_smile:

4 Likes

Roly polys, as we call them, are isopods. Freshwater scuds, common genera include Gammarus and Hyalella, are often called shrimp. They are, in fact, aquatic isopods.

I heard some fancy restaurants are serving giant terrestrial isopods on the menu these days.

3 Likes

I’ve been seeing so many isopods lately and it makes me SO happy! These little ones are so neat!! Gorgeous specimens!!

3 Likes

Thank you :slight_smile:

3 Likes