The New Set-Up

The hognoses got enclosure upgrades a few days ago. When I first got into hognoses, I started off with PVC enclosures. As the collection grew, I invested in rack systems. With my recent downsize, I switched back to (mostly) PVC displays. There was a bit of a miscalculation and I’m short a few displays, but they’re on their way :slight_smile: and there is a VE-6 rack with grow-outs not pictured.

28 Likes

What a beautiful snake room! @elementalherps I love the look of everything :heart:

4 Likes

That looks great. Now we need some pictures of what’s inside. :grin: :rofl: What rack do you have on the far left?

3 Likes

Beautiful setup. Something awesome about an organized collection like this.

4 Likes

Thanks Riley! I must admit, I’m pretty happy with how they look as well :slight_smile:

Thanks Riley (I sound like a broken record). The racks on the left are my hatchling ones, made to fit Interdesign bins

Here’s a quick shot of Cindy Lou exploring her enclosure

Thank you Randall :slight_smile: I’d been wanting to bite the bullet and get the hognoses in larger enclosures for awhile now. It’s really enjoyable watching them explore and have the ability to stretch out

9 Likes

Where did you order your enclosures from? I’ve been looking around for a while and it’s hard to find setups that will also be able to have light/heat

I ordered them from Cornel’s World in Alberta (Canada). I specifically wanted the bend edge style ones, not the flat pack ones you have to assemble.

1 Like

I am looking to get into breeding and was wondering what a setup like this would cost? Thanks! I just got my first hognose het axanthic female and am looking to expand my collection.

2 Likes

A setup like this can cost hundreds if not thousands of dollars depending on the size of your collection. @elementalherps how much did this cost you?

Really nice PVC display enclosures can get pretty high in price, but does anyone know of the best deals on them? I use Exo-Terra FO enclosures and these are also very likely to break the bank. I only buy them second-hand.

This setup in particular looks super slick, and slick usually translates to expensive :joy: so not sure this would be the cheapest option.

Congratulations on your first hognose, and I would like to be the first to welcome you to our wonderful community!

1 Like

Definitely thousands of dollars in setups.

2 Likes

Looks great!! Even though you stated you downsized, you still a nice size collection!!

3 Likes

This setup was close to $5k (Canadian) before I started adding UV lights. I could’ve gone for the flat packed assemble yourself, but have a preference for the single sheet, bent edge enclosures.

3 Likes

Oh my god, that’s my dream! I’m a starting up hognose breeder, so a setup like this would be amazing for me. What substrate do you use? I’d love to upgrade my snakes from aspen fiber.

3 Likes

I’m back to using aspen, I was using coco coir/sand/topsoil for a bit, but it made it a bit difficult to find their :poop:

I’m going to see about doing a mix of aspen and coco chips, once I can locate small enough coco chips

2 Likes

Your setup makes my little ocd heart happy. I love seeing setups of the breeders i watch on the sales side of the site.

1 Like

That’s really, really, really super fantastically nice! We’re talking about a household move and I have hopes of setting up something similar. I currently have some of my snakes scattered around the house in display tanks and others stacked in bins. (I gave up my rack several years back when I’d pared down the collection.) I am at the dreaming and sketching stage so info is welcome. If you don’t mind my asking, what is it that you prefer about the bent edge units over the flat packs which made it worth the extra money to you?

1 Like