The Nyala gene [DONE]

This template contains both “gene addition” and “gene review” forms, please delete the one which is not applicable to your request

Gene Request Form

Facts

Species: (Python regius)
Name of Gene: Nyala
First produced by whom: Ball Python Morphs.co.za (South Africa)
Year First Produced: 2013
Genetics Type: Codom
In complex with other genes?: Similar to Mahogany and Cinder
Other names/aliases for it?:
Description:

Appearance; What it does/looks like?

• Head:
  • Body:
  • Belly:
  • Tail:

Proven Lines:
Related Genes:

Proven: To what degree it is proven out to not just be polygenic?
Unique: Why do you believe this is a new morph and not an existing one?

Problems: Any problems? None
History: The history behind its discovery?
Disagreement or Controversy:
References here on the community:

8 Likes

This looks like an interesting morph to me. There are a couple things that I’m not sure about. Wouldn’t it be incomplete dominant or dominant instead of co-dominant? I am under the impression that there aren’t any co-dom ball python morphs and they’re all inc-dom or dominant. Also, are the pictures the heterozygous or homozygous form? Is the homozygous form visually different than the heterozygous form? If it isn’t, it would be a dominant morph. If it is, do you have pictures of the form that isn’t pictured here?

3 Likes

I have it listed as a dominate gene on my site. I have several nyalas from their collection.

4 Likes

A Super has been made by some in South Africa. It looks very much like Suma. Unfortunately I don’t have any photos. I did send him the link and hope he will post some photos.
We do believe Nyala is in the same complex as Mahogany but not exactly the same. One combo that we know that differ a lot between Nyala and Mahogany is the combination with Leopard and Mojave.

We don’t know of any Nyala to Mahogany breeding and haven’t done it ourselves as we don’t have Mahogany in our collection.

3 Likes

Leopard Mojave Nyala ph Pied. AKA Kriptonite

Leopard Mahogany Mojave h Pied.
For reference.

5 Likes

Super Nyala by Designerpython

3 Likes

Can you give a link and not a screenshot? Nowhere on the picture/post of the screenshot does it say super nyala.

Edit, oh it is a link, just looks like a screenshot lol. Looks a lot like a suma though. Are we sure it isn’t just another line of mahogany since even the single gene looks a lot alike?

How is this trait displayed? The pictures are super diverse and I am not sure where the Nyala gene is. Does it darken? Higher contrast?

I am not super familiar with Nyala, and just would like to know more :slight_smile:

Mind sharing some picture?

1 Like

Nyala YB Clown

2 Likes

One reason I don’t think they are the same

1 Like

This is my butter nyala het clown

This is my Mojave Nyala Pied

I’m hoping to hit visual clowns and pieds this season with those two males :blush:

3 Likes

I’m super stoked about this project. I saw the Nyala animals that Billy showed off in his snake of the week video and it blew my mind! Can’t wait to see where this project goes!

1 Like