Just a cool pic of my bredli pair

22 Likes

Very cool. Those are beautiful!

4 Likes

MPR calender 2023 pic there…beautiful!

3 Likes

Those are lovely. Nice iridescence.

1 Like

So, I feel a little dumb. I’ve been looking at these and toying the idea of getting one around in my head, but I had been spelling it wrong the entire time.
I had thought there were two i’s and calling bredii’s (breed-eye)…. How is the correct way to say the actual name of these now that I know it’s bredli? Is it bred-lye? Bred-Lee?

1 Like

Bread-Lee

Or you can go with the more generic “Centralian python” or “Centralian carpet” or “Bredl’s python”

2 Likes

Those are stunning!

1 Like

Thanks for clearing that up for me! Will come in handy if I can talk the wife into thinking I need one or two of them lol.

Are yours “normals”? I don’t see many morphs, only hypo; striped, and stonewashed mainly for sale when looking through MorphMarket . I also know if I want to get into these to make sure I’m getting one from someone that can provide some lineage. Absolutely gorgeous snakes.

1 Like

Sort of. My male is an Afors-line, which are known for being higher red/less black and my female is Price-line, which are also known for being higher red. However, these are more selective lines than true “morphs”

Those are the only morphs for the species in the hobby. The limited number of animals that came in way back in the day and the embargo on exporting animals from Aus means that we will not see anything else from them, at least nothing legally obtained

Honestly, unless you are working with something selectively bred, like Afors or Price, then lineage is not all that important. What would be more important is being able to see the parents the babies came from because the hatchlings look nothing like the adults. A good breeder will be more than happy to provide you with pics (or may have their adults on display if you are at a show). Other than that, you just want to buy from a reliable breeder if you are dealing with hets or the like, but that is no different from when you are buying any snake

I got my Afors because I wanted a Hypo but did not have the cash for them when they were still $3500 and Afors are, unfairly, considered the “poor-man’s” Hypo. The Price-line girl I lucked into because a buddy of mine was downsizing and her reds pair well to the reds of my male. I also have a Lazic poss het Stripe that sort of fell into my lap. She is atypical for the species in that she just does not like to eat regularly so even at almost four years of age she looks like a yearling, has not even undergone her ontogenetic change yet. She recently seems to have turned over a new leaf though, so maybe she will begin to change here soon

3 Likes

Is there such thing as albino Bredli? I noticed when doing some more digging into the species that I’ve come across some pics, but little info. Assuming this is due to some hybridization or breeding between subspecies? (albino darwins x bredli)?

I’ve still got a lot of learning to do about this species before I consider getting one, but trying to get a grasp and understand it before I commit.

I’ve definitely noticed that they don’t have nearly the same amount of color as a hatchling as they do after they age.

I’ve noticed some of the ones posted on morphmarket are listed as 100% full hypo, and some listed as 50% hypo… After looking at the way they have the lineage information, the 100% hypo is from a hypo to hypo pairing, while the 50% hypo is from parents that have 1 hypo to a non-hypo parent… Coming from ball pythons this is a little confusing to me, but I could be over thinking it.

Could you help me get a grasp on what that means?

2 Likes

There are no pure-blood Albino bredli, they are all, as you surmised, hybrids. The ones you will find posted all over the net/social media were made in Aus… Cannot remember if they are bredli x Darwin or bredli x coastal

Hypo can definitely be a little confusing and, honestly, the terminology for it is totally borked.

Hypo is a polygenetic trait and some subset of the genes involved are either recessive or incomplete-dominant. So when you breed a Hypo to a non-Hypo animal you get “50% Hypos”, which is to say they are somewhat Hypo in appearance but only have ~half of the genetics necessary to be considered full Hypo. Now, you can breed two 50% Hypos together and get 100% Hypos but you still end up with 50% Hypos. However, in reality this breeding would actually give you a spectrum of “X%” Hypo. If we randomly decide that it is six genes that make for a fully Hypo then you could get 0%, 16.7%, 33%, 50% 66%, 83.3%, and 100% (except really it would be different because again, maybe some are recessive and maybe some are inc-dom)

The accepted thing for the morph seems to be that if the animal looks like a full Hypo then it gets called a 100% and if it looks like anything less than a fully Hypo then it just gets called a 50% regardless. The morph is not worked with that broadly so right now it is not too big an issue, but I can see a time coming where it could become a total cluster snarl of confusion. My advice if you want to work with this morph is to be very selective about the breeder you are buying from and make sure they actually know what they are talking about and not that they are just throwing the label around. People I would trust without a doubt would be Inland Reptiles, Cannonfire, and Centralian Exotics. Anyone else I would likely do some digging on and probably be asking one/all of the three mentioned for opinion/reference/confirmation

3 Likes

after doing a little more digging last night, I stumbled across a website of a group of our Aus that had some of the albinos I was seeing, along with some insane looking skink morphs as well.

Is that mainly because the snakes themselves aren’t that popular in comparison to others, like ball pythons and such?

This is one of the main places I’ve considered getting one if I pull the trigger. I’ve heard a lot of people talk about Nick and his animals.

Thanks for helping me get a better grasp on the whole hypo thing, that’s very interesting. And also somewhat confusing lol

1 Like

A bit… For some reason, bredli were sort of an “ugly step-child” in the carpet group but in the last five or so years they have started picking up in popularity. Hypo itself has not really been worked with because until the last couple years they were priced higher than most people were willing to pay for the aforementioned “ugly step-child”

Nick is a solid guy and you can buy from him with confidence. My only warning with him would be that if you call him, make sure your schedule is clear because he will talk to you until the heat death of the universe LOL (this is NOT a complaint, just a preparatory notification)

4 Likes