The real 'rufous'

In contrast to my other boy, here is the real rufous beaked snake, Rhamphiophis oxyrhincus

20 Likes

What a fascinating animal! <3

5 Likes

That’s a beautiful snake. I love the coloration!

4 Likes

Yes yes! That color! She is super beautiful Travis! Are they harder to care for then the other beaked snakes that you keep?

4 Likes

Nope, care is pretty much identical for both species I keep. Cages are literally side by side and set up nealy identically

5 Likes

OK, they are a lot hard to find though? If I remember you saying that?

3 Likes

Beautiful, just beautiful! Love the subtleties of the coloration.

3 Likes

This snake is equally as unique and beautiful as the other one. They appear to be very curious. Is this really the case? You have such a variety of animals! :blush::wink::lizard::snake:

2 Likes

@caryl I know! He looks like he has a pale pink shade. Or maybe it’s the lighting.

:blush::wink::frog::lizard::snake:

2 Likes

Nope. This species is probably the easiest to find ans they are imported in pretty high numbers.

The rarest of the genus is Rhamphiophis rubropunctatus. Their range countries are locked down now and there are only a handful still in the hobby that I am aware of

3 Likes

Oh yeah!! Crazy curious. Very visually oriented. Crazy smart too. I have actually been target training them using a laser pointer. They are, however, also more than a little spastic at times, and their primary go-to in that situation is to bolt first and think about the consequences after

I found myself languishing having a monoculture collection, so I started falling more toward the Noah’s Ark mentality

Little from column A… Little from column B

4 Likes

Huh, give me about a year and I’ll probably reach out to you about how you care for these guys.

3 Likes

Yes yes yes! If possible, variety is wonderful! If (the biggest little word in the dictionary!) I had the room I would add maybe a half dozen more different varieties of snakes in a New York skinny minute! We used to own a huge very old historic home that would have been perfect but we moved to a one level ranch home after my husband had hip replacement surgery.

But I think I have a fairly good mix anyway. Noah would be so proud of you! Lol! :blush::wink::frog::lizard::snake::+1:

2 Likes

You read my mind……

Somebody STOP ME! :joy:

2 Likes

What a lovely red color :blush:

3 Likes

They are not too terribly difficult, but you will absolutely need a cage for them, they are NOT a species you can tub

3 Likes

That’s completely fine because I don’t like tubs usually :+1:

2 Likes

Wow :fire: :hearts: :heart_eyes: :hearts: :fire:

3 Likes