The right boa for my particular situation? šŸ¤”

Here is my sweet little rosy, Merck. He is still fairly young but he is the gentlest little noodle ever!

5 Likes

Aaaaaaawwwwww, heā€™s adorable! :smiling_face_with_three_hearts: My first reaction was: ā€œWHOA, itā€™s the sandworm from Beetlejuiceā€¦ but REAL! :rofl: Thatā€™s a gorgeous morph!

3 Likes

Thank you! Iā€™m not kidding when I say he feels like velvet.I have had a lot of snakes in my time but this one takes the cake! lol! And I will have to watch Beetlejuice again for the 100th time and check out the giant worm!

Thanks again for the compliment! Iā€™ll tell him what you said when he wakes up in the morning! :laughing:

2 Likes

Haha, I think the more streamlined, evenly rounded body and tapering head shape are why the sand worm cam immediately to mindā€”besides the b & w stripes, of course. X3 Though the length-wise stripes (as opposed to bands) made me think of Beetlejuice himself, lol.

2 Likes

Ok now I remember the stripes on the sand worm! Thatā€™s funny! And btw, that movie is a classic??? :+1::blush::thinking:

3 Likes

I can wholeheartedly recommened Dumerilā€™s. Iā€™ve had my girl for just about a year now and sheā€™s been fantastic. Extremely calm demeanor and they are eating machines. As @patriotballs noted, they like to burrow. I didnā€™t realize they liked this until I brought her home. Everyday is hide and go snake with her. Sheā€™ll be 90% buried with just a head peeking out. I might need to bump her feeding schedule up just a bit thoughā€¦ The other night she was waggling her tail at me.

5 Likes

Dumerilā€™s are not a smaller Boa. Iā€™ve kept them for years and my smallest adult was 10 pounds, I had 2 males given to me, one weighed 16 and one weighed 21 pounds.

7 Likes

Wow! I have no experience with dumerils but I was going to suggest one until I realized they are a rather heavy bodied snake although pretty gentle. But I didnā€™t know that males could weigh that muchā€¦ā€¦.:+1:

3 Likes

Dumeril boas will get big over 7 feet and 30 lbs. The two I owned were very tame but had the feeding response of a retic. My male would hit the rat or rabbit I feed him like a ton of bricks. He would rock the cage when taking them. Both were very strong too. The female would constrict me just to hold on and feel safe when out. But she would cut off my circulation to my arms sometimes. Her scale pattern would be imprinted in my skin, too.

8 Likes

I have a 4 year old Tarahumara mountain drawfā€¦& he is only 4 ish foot. All the boaā€¦none of the sizeā€¦I have way bigger ball pythons.

6 Likes

& yes ā€¦everyone needs a boa!! Lol lol

3 Likes

Man, that feeding response would scare me out of my wittā€™s. Talk about a freight train wreck! Lol! But seriously, those snakes are beautiful! :blush::+1:

2 Likes

Awww. Heā€™s a cutie! :blush:

3 Likes

Tom you always look like you are standing in a park! Beautiful setting! :blush:

5 Likes

BCI for the win :laughing: but Iā€™m biased big time. For me the overall demeanor makes up for a few feet of length and a couple pounds. If a boa constrictor is what really grabs your attention then I wouldnā€™t get too hung up on the handling aspect. A male fed conservatively and from parents that were not excessively large will probably end up around the 5ā€™-6 mark and not super heavily bodied. 5ā€™ sounds long but itā€™s not such a length or weight where you would need to put the animal around your neck/shoulders to handle it comfortably. Iā€™m not big on doing that, I donā€™t find it very comfortable haha. I like to ā€œwalkā€ my boas with my hands and let them explore. Start with a young BCI that comes from a breeder you trust to pick you out a more naturally docile animal. :raised_hands:t3:

7 Likes

I have a very big yard. 2 acres and it backs up to farm land and National park.

5 Likes

Make sure to go threw a reputable breeder. I had a pet store boa as a kid. That I had for 23yrs. He was 9ish foot when he passed away. Outlires happenā€¦but less likely with someone who knows how big the parents/ grandparents are. I always had my suspensions he was a BCI/BCC cross. Or a direct Colombian import. But never knew for sure. I miss him.

5 Likes

I think you would be fine with a male Colombia BCI boa or some type of BCI cross.

I personally donā€™t like most dwarf boas. They tend to be more aggressive in my experiences. Most will tame down but I will never trust them 100% like I do with my BCI, BCC and BCA boas I own. I know BCAā€™S do fall in the dwarf boa range but they are at the bigger end. Mine BCA are all over 6 almost 7 foot.

Most male BCI boas top out at 6 to 7 foot and 15 + lbs when they are adults. I would get a baby boa, donā€™t buy a adult one. This way the boa will grow up with you. When he is adult he will not be afraid of you. He will associate you and your scent with a safe place and be very comfortable around you.

There are a lot of people here on MM selling baby boas. You should be able to find one you like. Just be picky and get what you like best. As he will be your favorite pet for the next 20 to 25 years and possibly longer.

I know Randall and myself just had babies. Not sure when I will be selling any of mine. As I have friends and a few people around me who want them. Here is a link to the post about my BCA X BCI babies.

Most of my boas are very tame and I trust them more then my dogs.

9 Likes

Well no wonder it looks like you are in or near a park! My ideal location would be somewhere in Montana or Wyoming with a nice log cabin at the foot of a small mountainā€¦ā€¦.

2 Likes

Gosh those are all such beautiful boas!

3 Likes