The snake that got me back into keeping ball pythons

I moved in a small cabin on my buddy’s property. This guy was there being neglected by the guy that stayed here before me. I fed and took care of him for the past year and a half…
I don’t know anything of his genetics or even where he was purchased from…
I’ve had several normals or wild type ball pythons. This one just stands out different to me.
I may breed him in time just to see what I might get.

I welcome your thoughts!

7 Likes

Normals are highly variable, and nothing about this animal says it is anything other than a normal to me. Though the lighting in the pictures isn’t the best. Given he was neglected and is a normal, he was probably a cheap snake purchased from a chain pet store. I wouldn’t recommend breeding him personally, as you would just be producing inferior offspring that might be hard to get homes for. The golden rule of breeding any animal will always be ‘just because you can breed it, doesn’t mean you should’. Rescues should stay pet only animals, as you can never know their history. That and the amount of normal BPs at animal rescues just makes me say it isn’t worth producing even more, given the higher chance of a cheap snake being neglected and abandoned.

9 Likes

That does make a lot of sense. I really appreciate your feedback.
I know the genes of my others. Stick to the pedigree stuff…LOL :laughing:

2 Likes

Its only natural, when we have to nurture and help an animal, it makes a bond.
You can never really know about the genetics in that situation you describe,
I would say breed it and see whats in it, that’s if your happy if it turns out its a normal. its good fun anyway regardless of the outcome, even if it has no other morphs, its a lovely example of a ball python, :slight_smile:
However, ashleyraeanne has a point.
If you cant find good homes, or dont want them yourself, then maybe not.
It seems a bit easier in the UK to get good homes for normals if you are willing to wait for the right person.

2 Likes

He looks great

1 Like

Thats a nice looking normal and kudos to you for taking care of that beautiful python.

1 Like

Normal or not, you have a good looking new friend. I like the big chunky pattern and the stripes

1 Like

He’s a good looking boy :slight_smile:

2 Likes

He looks great! I’m glad he’ll have a good home with you. I wouldn’t recommend breeding him just because he would produce lots of normals and there is a very small chance he will prove out to be something new. However if you really want to you could try.

2 Likes