The 'un'boas

Male finally cleared quarantine and I decided that since I had an empty 245cm cage just sitting there, I would do a tear down of the smaller cage the female was in and use everything in there, plus some extra stuff I had around, and house them as a pair in there. And, since I figured this will be the last time I will ever have easy access to them, I threw them in the light tent for a quick photoshoot

Certainly fun little monsters. Just wish I could get a hold of some of the Camaroon red ones

21 Likes

They are so weird I want one.

5 Likes

Those are so cool!

6 Likes

This is great. I love seeing less common animals, especially when you can get really good photos of them like this.

6 Likes

How do you plan to get them to breed? I would imagine that is your goal with these sausages.

5 Likes

I’m so glad to see more photos of these guys! Ever since you posted the first one, I’ve been completely enamored and I definitely want to get a pair and try breeding them. Now whenever I hear someone say all boas are live-bearers, my inner snake nerd comes out, “um, actually…”.

Please keep us updated with how they’re doing!

5 Likes

Hope these become captive bred in the years to come. They are so different.

4 Likes

Same way I get my other weirdos to breed; put them together and leave them the heck alone :rofl:

I mean… It worked for my Rhamphiophis LOL

10 Likes

We’re pairing up some Calabars this month. The animals we’re using are CH, which are pretty rare. We’re hoping that animals that have been in captivity for their entire lives will be more likely to breed in captivity.

9 Likes

Such amazing and interesting snakes!

4 Likes

I just resently got one of these cool guys myself. Very neat snakes! His name is Wicket :slight_smile:

8 Likes

Nicknamed rhinoceros snakes for their extremely tuff skin. Apparently the collagen fibers in their sub dermal layer is arranged in cross patterns not lines. The “hinge” in their scales are smaller & arranged slightly differently. They feel really cool to hold…different. & mine is a sweetheart! He isnt in a hurry to do much…& is kinda durpy…lol

8 Likes