The ups and downs of breeding

This season has been crazy for me i got a massive clutch of 12 eggs, i had two eggs die in incubation one was an egg with only one vein the other was a boob egg from a clutch of all slugs. The egg with only one vein never developed it collapsed after 7 days while all its siblings are on day 45 now and looking great. the boob egg sadly had a very small embro in it when i checked it out this egg made it to day 25 then just collapsed and turned green any one else having some weird luck this season?

1 Like

Oh yeah, I wish I can say every year is perfect and all my eggs were fertile, hit all my odds & no other catastrophes like a clown female dying in the egg hasn’t happened…but some of that & more did happen on my end so far this year. Hopefully more trial than error but it’s all part of the game. No 2 headed snakes though yet!!

2 Likes

I just got lucky the last two years with all perfect eggs then this season is just kind of a reminder that nature is still nature if that makes sense. This is only my 3rd tear breeding

1 Like

This is my first season and I’ve had 1 egg go bad from my hognose clutch, that female completely slugged out on her second clutch…
Though the 6 babies that did hatch out all were healthy and started eating unscented pinky mice within a month or so.

As for my ball pythons, my females took forever to lay. One clutch had 2 eggs go bad about 2 weeks into incubation, and then I have a third one that looks like it’s dented in a bit (but it still looks to have good veins so I put a damp paper towel over it and added more water to the perlite)

Though I’m also anticipating two more clutches later on, so hopefully those go well :joy:

2 Likes

I only got 3 out of my 4 anticipated clutched and one ended up being the solo boob egg that went bad. It wasnt an insane paired clutch but it was my most anticipated. Green pastel × super pastel yellow belly.

1 Like

My first clutch this year was 9 slugs. Probably because I wasn’t breeding her consistently and missed the signs. Got 7 healthy eggs in my second clutch though.

2 Likes

Hey 7 snakes! I actually got the green pastel girl from you.other than slugging out shes doing amazing!

2 Likes

Glad to hear it! Hope you post pics when her eggs hatch, I’d love to see them.

2 Likes

Shes the one who slugged out other than a boob egg. Sadely that egg turned green and collapsed. Hopefully ill have better luck with her next year

Oh, okay. Sorry about that. Guess neither of us are having the best year, huh?

Hope she does better for you next time.

We will see