Thermometer for Reptile Room/Incubator

Hey all,
So i’m looking at getting some form of wifi thermometer for my reptile room and also for my incubator. I’m leaning towards going with Govee, as I’ve already got a meat thermometer I use with the app for our smoker. There seems to be two different models, one being a single unit, another being the wifi gateway with sensors. From a cost perspective, the wifi gateway + 3 sensors is a better deal. Anything I’m missing here?
Govee Wi-Fi Digital Thermometer Hygrometer
Govee Wi-Fi Smart Temperature Humidity Sensor - Indoor
also open to other brands, I know sensorpush is a common one, but just figured if its worth it I would stick with Govee so its not another app to download.

3 Likes

Just wanted to bump this to get some input from anyone if anyone’s used the above referenced products.

1 Like

I have not used that product.

I’m really wanting to find an accurate wired thermometer so I can stick the probe inside a high humidity egg box while the display is dry outside the incubator. Most including the most popular herp brand seem to be a joke with +/- 2 degree accuracy. I have seen ruggedized wireless probes that might be ok if they are at least much more accurate. I do worry a little about radio waves near developing snake eggs. Any recommendations?

1 Like

Any reason it needs to be wired? I use the Govee mentioned above, and it can handle the high humidity. I think there’s another brand of wireless one that I’ve seen @t_h_wyman reccomend, sensorpush or something maybe? I can’t remember currently.

I guess as long as it can handle the humidity and is accurate (and doesn’t mess up developing snakes with radio waves worse than inaccurate temps).

This one claims to be tough and accurate. Wish I could find a good cheap wired but they all seem to be novelty items now with terrible accuracy.

1 Like

SensorPush is correct. I picked up a couple of the ones @rlremington posted above on the recommendation of some of my carnivorous plant cohort. That said, I have converted over to Govee

The SP would constantly ■■■■ out on me after about six months in the incubator (runs at nearly 99% humidity in there) and even the one I just had stuck to the ceiling would permanently lose connection for months at a time before suddenly resurrecting

With the Govee (I have six at the moment), they are a lot more stable for me. The one in the incubator has been in there nine months without a blip. The one that was with the rubber boas got knocked loose and was under the damp sphagnum in a low point that accumulated a little water and suffered no issues. Govees also have a battery indicator so you can see when to replace the battery. They also seem to have a further Bluetooth range as I can read all of them in the basement from the top floor whereas the furthest I could get a reading from the SP was in the room immediately above the snake room, and even then it was spotty

1 Like

Thanks t_h_wyman, exactly the feedback I needed. Looks like this will save a lot of money too.

Does Govee only have the one sensor model, so no special high humidity one in your tests?

1 Like

The link didn’t work quite as I intended. I’m looking at a 10 pack of H5100 sensors with an H5151 WiFi gateway for just under $120.

Looks like Govee also has a more expensive probe with WiFi built in, H5179, but as I expect to use a lot of them I don’t mind the Bluetooth only with WiFi hub. As long as that H5100 model is the one that’s holding up to humidity.

I use the H5179, but looking at the user manual for the other one (Bluetooth model that can be used with the gateway, which I linked in the original post) the operating humidity is shown at 0-99% so I don’t expect you’d have any worries.

1 Like

Hard to argue with giving it a try at that price. Would have gone with American Sensor Push as it’s stated accuracy was even better on that higher end moisture resistant model but it sounds like even that model isn’t quite up to the incubator unfortunately.

2 Likes

@t_h_wyman , just double checking. The Sensor Push model that failed for you was this more expensive water resistant one, right?

HTP.xw Extreme Accuracy Water-Resistant

I worry some about security putting the Govee hub on my WiFi so might pay more if a chance not going to fail.

Hey Randy,

Yes, it was the “water-resistant” SP one is the one I have. When I opened it change the battery, thinking that may have been the cause of the failure, water dripped out

I believe Govee has a handful of different ones, but the ones you linked look like mine. I have one inside my incubator now and it is doing just fine :+1:t4:

2 Likes

Thanks again! I guess it’s a Mother’s Day special but I was pretty much honeypotted by the Govee price. Looks like I need a separate WiFi hub for each 10 sensors but can do 20 total for $240 and monitor each piece of heat tape I have separately.

Blind Strike Exotics (SNKE LTD) and Bob Bledsoe from Green Room Pythons both have YouTube videos on their channels where they promote the Govee temp/humidity sensors. I say “promote” in the sense they speak highly of the product. I don’t think they are sponsored by Govee or anything, they genuinely appear to want to pass good information about a good product on to their viewers. I don’t think I’ve seen another YouTuber talking about any other brand temp/humidity sensor except for Govee. I MAY have seen Emily and Ed from Snake Discovery praising Govee.

Bottom line, Govee seems to make a good product that is popular with many herpers. If I had the need I would buy from them. And no, I am in no way connected to Govee. :grin:

2 Likes

It certainly looks/sounds like a good product. I pulled the trigger on 20 for $257 with tax. That includes two WiFi hubs. I’m going to set up a separate WiFi network for all my offshore appliances.

2 Likes

I have several Govee thermometer/hygrometers; my H5179 ended up dying on me, but thanks to the alert thresholds I set up, I was able to move one of my smaller gateway ones over to where I needed it. I messaged the company through their app and they sent me a replacement for free. I have since bought 2 more for non-reptile use as well.