Thermostat prob placement

I have recently got a baby corn snake and was given some information by the chap who sold it to me but it seems there is a lot of differing opinion online so just want to make sure its all good.

I have a plastic faunarium with a heat mat under 1/3 - 1/2 of the enclosure. The thermostat probe is attached directly to the heat mat in the gap between the mat and the plastic (where the faun feet raise the unit).

The thermometer is then placed under the substrate (aspen) directly on top of the bottom of the faun above the heat mat.

The stat is turned up to about 88-90f and this is reading as 85-88f on the thermometer on the other side of the plastic faun floor.

He seems happy enough but it just seems odd to me that I would do it this way around rather than just putting the probe from the stat directly onto the floor of the faun.

Any help would be appreciated.

1 Like

How you have it set up is right. If you put the probe inside of the enclosure the snake can move it, pee on it, or do something that can cause the heat mat to reach very dangerous levels.

1 Like

It sounds like the way you have it set up is working just fine. Personally, I prefer to put my probe inside the enclosure (it can be secured with a dollop of hot glue or silicone).

2 Likes

How you have it is the safest way, least likely to have a catastrophe.

2 Likes

Welcome to the community! Your setup is fine. I always position mine like yours, I’m paranoid about electrical accidents. If you decide to put your probe inside a viv at some future point, be sure it’s completely shielded as described by Olivia of Solar Serpents. That works also.

2 Likes