Thoughts on Scaleless Ball Pythons?

I have only recently seen what a scaleless ball python looks like. At the moment, I am not sure what to think about them. Is it dangerous for the animal to not have its protective scaly skin? What are your thoughts or what do you know about the gene? I am here to learn!

1 Like

There has been a great series of video covering the subject

5 Likes

Oh neat! I haven’t heard much about them until now.

Is it just me but I’ve never seen an actual scale less not a het that has laid a clutch? I think the scale less morphs have a lot of health and genetic issues.

1 Like

I have read post claiming they have issues but I’ve never seen real documentation to back it up. Time will tell.

2 Likes

I could only assume that things could go wrong with genetics like that, right?

1 Like

Hm, i actually haven’t read much about them at all. There must not be too many out there!

1 Like

They have issues, one of the issues is shedding. I have also heard (no first hand experience) they don’t live long either. I personally do not like them. They look awful and not even natural. If you (general) like them go for it. I personally won’t buy them or breed them.

1 Like

The lifespan and overall quality of life is the most important when determining whether it is worth it. Personally, they are way too expensive and not something I ever considered owning. I just know that scaleless corns are a big deal and I never heard anything about scaleless ball pythons.

Do these videos cover infertility in scaleless ball pythons?

Has anyone ever seen a legit photo of a fully scaleless female on her OWN eggs?

1 Like

@jones810975
The oldest female is only about 3 or 4 years old. Although some females will produce at 2 years, scaleless grow a bit slower. There is nothing that says these animals are sterile or incapable of producing. Time will tell. No one is going to hide it, so when it happens, we will all know…

3 Likes

The first female was produced in 2013 than more were produced from another breeder in 2016.

3 Likes

I don’t care for scaleless snakes. I have seen a few scaleless corn snakes in person and pictures of scaleless balls…They just look wrong to me (I’m not saying they are wrong, but I wouldn’t want one)

I am actually very curious. I’ve never seen an adult scaleless. Is there a particular reason? Would love to see one, especially now that I see many breeders jumping into the scaleless project.

I can link a video that showcases one of the oldest scaless ball pythons. The reason you dont see many with much size is because the super scaless hasn’t been achieved as much as you would think. You need a scaless head Male and female and adult females are very hard to come by as well as super expensive.

3 Likes

I would love to see that video!

Here ya go

2 Likes

Wow! They look really cool! Much nicer for some reason than hatchlings in my opinion. I wonder why breeders dont share photos of these if they have them like other morphs?

3 Likes

there are a few photos of them out there but there are not many morphs that have been incorporated into the super scaless. its a relatively long project if you want to include a morph but i have seen scaless pieds, spiders, bananas, and some other stuff like mojave and pastel.

2 Likes

I watched all the vids and after chewing on the concept these would be my thoughts.

I believe if they have no belly scales and have the need for lotion is wetting to produce such animals. I view the same for the sphynx cat. They are beautiful,but when one has the chance to get “stuck” in its shed due to a ring that is created from that shed I would question it. They do need more intensive care but that’s up to the people. Over all if people want a hand in it that is their decision just like spiders :slight_smile:

3 Likes