Tips and id for first leo

Hello I just got my first leo today and some tips and help identifying him would be wonderful.

I got him at the repticon in Jacksonville and on the way home he was running around and climbing on my hand. He was for a steal of a price 25$ The food we have for him is crickets, black soldier fly larvae, mealworms, and we are getting small hornworms soon. Tems are 90 around his heat mat, 85 in the middle of his enclosure, and 80 at the cool side… Thank you for any help!

Edit: I just caught him drinking water out of his dish.

1 Like

That looks like a young snow, no way to tell what line, but at that price, it’s probably a mack snow. It may also grow up to be hypo or at least reduced-pattern, but you won’t know right away.

1 Like

Thank you! I was thinking it might be a snow. But do think there is anything special about his eyes? I have basically no knowledge about leo eyes. I’m sorry about the quality of the pics ill try and get more in the morning.

Yes it’s a Mack snow. That’s what a snow’s eyes look like normally. No issues from what I can tell.

Ok thank you all so much for the help! I may be basically blind but to me he looks like he has more grey than white unlike all the baby mack snows which had almost no grey, or im just blind which is quite possible.

Hello! I just wanted to do a little update to make sure the gecko is in good health. Its much easier to take pictures now that he has warmed up to me.

Iwas thinking he might be a little chubby but I don’t know. All replys are greatly appreciated!

1 Like

He is actually on the slightly thinner side, but that is how they usually look until they are adults because they use all of their comsumed food to grow instead of make fat stores. What are you feeding him?

I’m feeding him Black Soldier Fly Larvae and crickets and we have discoid roaches when he is a bit older we don’t have dubias as they are illegal in Florida. He gets 5-7 insects per feeding and we dust 1-3 of them in repticalcium. He is active and has gotten a bit bigger since we first got him. Im calling it a he and I have no idea of his actual gender because he is far to young to tell. Thank you so much for the feedback.

Edit: Aperently he decided to shed last night. And the only bad thing was he shed in the warm hide instead of the moist hide and one of his fingers was bleeding. I put a tiny bit of warm water on it and it stopped bleeding and looked a bit better. If there is any more I can do please tell me(upload://tlJ906ltUL8RYZDP4o4KrUP9KoB.jpeg)

Personally, I believe the moist hide should be also be the warm hide, I do not believe you need 2 seaparate hides on warm side. You need heat+water to create humidity which aids in shedding. So make sure you have your humid hide in the warm side. Your second hide should be dry on the cool side :slight_smile:

Every care sheet and advice I have seen from people keeping leos for 10+ years says you need 2 dry hides and a humid hide. That way if they need heat but not moisture they have that option. I have always seen the humid hide placed in the middle so it doesn’t promote mold growth and doesn’t dry as fast.

Personally, I’ve seen issues with shedding when providing the 2 warm hides but no issues with just the 1 warm/humid hide. I’ve also never had issues with mold in my humid hide on the warm side. There’s several ways to provide great care, the 2 hides is what works well for my leos :slight_smile: since the question asker is having shedding issues I think it’s worth noting what has worked for me!

1 Like

Well I also haven’t updated this in a while and Indy is doing great! They shed perfectly eat perfectly and are chill when being handled. They only time they have ever screamed was at a cricket he mised which was pretty funny to me. And for the hides, since they are shedding well I believe my hides are fine. Im 90% this is normal but he changes color depending on the temperature, almost black when warm, grey when eating no matter the temperature, and light grey when cool or colder. Thank you so much for the advice!

Actually now that I think about it a tiny bit of their moist hide might be in the heat carpets range. Im away from home rn but ill be back later tonight so ill check then.

One of my leos changes shades as well when cold or warm!

1 Like

Nice! Do you have a picture of the little gecko? My other gecko kinda does it to but much less. More of Orange to cream.

1 Like

Which one? I have one leopard gecko hatchling and some adults. My adult male is the one who changes shade when cold or warm!

Does he change color when eating? I was just wondering because Indy did that sometimes. And yes the adult male.

Apparently they have changed since I was away! They look so much different now!

They definitely looks like a hypo now and their sbow colors and patterns are coming in aswell! And Indy no longer changes color now, and is always light gray.

1 Like

I have honestly never really payed attention to see if he does when eating! I will have to watch him. I will try and get some pictures, he’s a shtctb.

1 Like