Toffino Questions

Honest answer - I would suggest picking up a current edition introduction to genetics textbook (libraries are a wonderful option if cost is an issue) and read it through a couple times. Then, ask question while retaining a degree of skepticism of who is replying.

I also strongly advocate reading actual scientific articles. I know they are typically dry as stale saltines but the material in them was produced through the scientific method and not the willy-nilly assumptions of someone that never graduated from high school but has produced thousands of snakes

5 Likes

Thank you very much! My wife would probably love that as addition to our library.

I am very thankful to have honest and scientific input.

1 Like

Okay, gonna have to say. I’m new to the whole breeding and genetics aspect of snake husbandry. And I just looked up snake genetics and found a website that you contributed to.

I’m not gonna lie, nerding out a bit now.

But sadly the link no longer works! Do you happen to have a way for me to view it?

As new as I am to all of this. I absolutely love collecting knowledge, and look forward to greening whatever information and insight I can.

Thanks again!

1 Like

I had the same nerding out that you just experienced when I realised :joy:.

I believe this is the video you are looking for with Dave… It is excellent, both for the new and experienced.

I also recommend checking out both of these if you fancy hearing more from him :wink:

From the ground up

Reptile Gumbo Podcast

1 Like

I guess I have some homework to do over the weekend! Which cannot come fast enough, scraping paint on the house is not my idea of fun!

1 Like

Depende in your project, if you want to retain the gene, buy some albino or toffee with dominant / codom combo.

Thanks Thomas :grin:

There is also an earlier one that I did with FtGU. In addition I have done a couple shows with Morelia Python Radio and I recently did one with The Herpetoculture Podcast. The prior two were fairly genetics oriented, the latter was a bit more about different species

Slap some headphones in and hopefully it will make it a bit more tolerable

The enthusiasm is so so good. That’s what got me going strong. But before I went to the forum I asked myself the simple questions. I watched tons of videos explaining the exact same thing but in different words and opinions… thus converging them all and making my own based off of great input. Thennnnn I take any following questions to google again… and then after all that I slide back to the forum to get more opinions.

Whatever you breed that too would be amazing. You can breed that to a Cinder…a hurricane… and start a whole proj, orrrr you can take it to an enchi for something vibrant or simple… orrrr you can knock that on a Clown Dreamsicle… the choice is yours… look up the genetic combos you think about in MM, see the ones that have sold, see what’s up available, see what expired, check the market numbers if you care about that sorta thing.

Buttttt, Mike sure you have a rack, quarantine spot, mite spray, back up bedding, solid or semi solid feeder connection.

Whileeee you’re thinking about the combo mix… think about what snakes you might bring in, expertise yourself basically
:slight_smile: not for none…not to look cool… literally no one knows or cares about me yet… you just get smart for your little snake friends. If they’re gonna give you more babies, you should know genetics like the back of your hand. Unless you want to have a pet… then learn husbandry through and through.

kByeThnx