Too many subcategories for turtles?

For those of you who are sell or buy turtles and tortoises, what do you think about the subcategory structure setup on MorphMarket?

https://www.morphmarket.com/us/c/reptiles/turtles/index
https://www.morphmarket.com/us/c/reptiles/tortoises/index

Turtles in particular have a large number of subcategories, much larger than the other areas of our site. In other areas the subcategories may not correspond directly to a species but a group. Here though they are pretty particular and I have gotten some feedback that it might be better if it were simpler, say 10 subcategories - Map turtles, Mud turtles, Sliders, Softshell, etc.

If you think simpler would be better, can you propose what those subcats would be?

Here’s what’s currently available and there are at least as many subcategories currently empty:

Tortoises isn’t as bad, and I think this is probably okay:

3 Likes

I think that the turtles should be categorized by size or if they are similar. For example, maybe red and yellow sliders could be in the same category as well as all the painted turtles. Just a thought but I think that would be a good way of doing it.

2 Likes

William Gangemi also requests fewer subcategories and an “other” subcat:

Tortoises
Box Turtles
Mud and Musk Turtles
Map Turtles
Red Eared Sliders
Sliders, Cooters and painted turtles
Snapping turtles
Softshell Turtles
Sidenecks and snakenecks
Wood Turtles
Spotted,Bog, and Blandings
Other turtles

I’m not at all educated on turtle types, but I’m guessing they come from different parts of the world to each other like most animals.
Would it be at all helpful for them to be categorised by natural habitat regions or substrate?

As a example:
North American turtles -
South American turtles -
African turtles -
And so on…

Or

Sand turtles -
Mud turtles -
Grass turtles -
Water turtles -
And so on…

Again I haven’t a clue and this is just a thought.

1 Like

How about the beloved Matamata?

Matamata should be called leaf turtle lol. But in all seriousness wouldn’t it just get categorized with where it’s from like everything else if we did go about organizing like that? I like @eaglereptiles idea with organizing by region

1 Like

Definitely a wise suggestion… Agreed!