Tri stripe and reproduction

So I have a tri stripe that I have paired 3 years in a row now with different males each year and she has never had eggs. So recently I was talking with someone who has produce and worked with tris that told me that that it’s not uncommon for tris to never/can’t produce lay eggs. Has anyone heard this before or experienced this.

2 Likes

This is news to me. I have a buddy that is pretty heavy in Tri, I will ask him this evening and see what he says

5 Likes

Although not unheard of for morphs to have fertility issues (desert) I think it is more then likely just your specific female. I do a lot of breedings with red axanthics and had a huge het red, cinnamon, pastel female never go for me in 5 seasons of multiple successful locks and proven males, she just never would ovulate or lay! I still have her sister and a few others out of the same bloodline-all proven no issues ever! Unfortunately I think there is just something not working right in your particular female. It does happen for no reason every now and then.

4 Likes

It sucks because she was my biggest investment so far. I’m very disappointed and can’t afford another one

3 Likes

I know the pain. My first multi thousand $ animal I got took 5 years to produce viable eggs. Was a huge hit to my breeding plans. Hopefully this girl eventually goes for you.

Maybe ultrasound could help give you confidence that it isn’t just missed timing or anything like that?

5 Likes

Give it a few more try’s, the worst that can happen is nothing changes, but she may surprise you still. Like @crypticoils-pythons suggested maybe a ultrasound test to see how and if follicles are developing, which is a good idea. I am sorry it was a big investment for you, we have all been there! It’s ok to be disappointed, just don’t let it discourage you from your plans. Hoping she surprises you and just lays a huge clutch!:crossed_fingers:

4 Likes

I’ve never heard of this being an issue with the Tri’s, i have a few friends that has successfully bred with no issues. whats her weight?

2 Likes