TRN Reptiles - 2022 Season

Looks like a probable ovulation from Charlie — I didn’t see any tail suck from the underside of her tail though, so I’m not 100% sure. Looked pretty similar to her ovy in 2020 tho!

2 Likes

I was also trying to upload this picture of her but it kept giving me issues.

Also, Charlie’s ovy from 2020:

6 Likes

Another update!
No eggs yet, but I’m sure they’ll be coming soon.

Ava has been laying in a perfect coil for some time now, nestled down on the warm side of the tub. I actually missed her ovulation, and I didn’t think to write down when she last shed, so I can only guess when she’s gonna lay.

Same with Lucy here, I missed her ovy and stupidly didn’t record the last shed, though she likely shed mid-late February, since I got a pic of her looking pink on February 16th. So she should hopefully lay here in the next week or so.

I witnessed Delta’s ovy, but my fiancé didn’t tell me when she shed… I was gone for a week out of state. She was in blue when I left so likely shed a few days later. When I checked on her today she was at the front of her tub. She seems a bit restless, poor gal.

Stubby… I didn’t see an ovy and I don’t know when she shed, since I wasn’t sure if she was even gonna go for me. She’s been hugging the heat and coiling, so it can only be a matter of time.

Penny is in her prelay shed now, and I do plan to actually record the day she sheds. She’s also been in her water bowl virtually the entire time. Weirdo!

Charlie just ovulated, though the pics I posted were a preovy swell. She actually ended up ovulating on the 18th, so she should lay late April/early May.

4 Likes

We’ve got eggs!! Lucy was the first to lay for the 2022 season. She’s still going, so I’ll update this in a couple hours with egg counts/weights/etc. once she’s done laying!

EDIT

We got 6 healthy eggs! Her body condition is still pretty great, and she’s been set up in a fresh tub. Now to wait on the babies to hatch :joy:

Total egg weight: 572 grams
Average: ~95 grams per egg

Lucy weighed in at 1534 grams after laying.

6 Likes

Clutch number two is on the ground! Always a nice thing to wake up to (don’t question why I didn’t wake up until 1 PM)

Pairing:
1.0 banana (female maker) fire VPI axanthic x 0.1 normal

7 eggs; 6 fertile, 1 infertile/slug

Total Egg Weight: 703 grams
Average: ~117 grams per egg

Stubby weighed in at 1618 grams after laying.

5 Likes

Another clutch already!

Ava finally laid hers after acting like a complete goof for about a week. Once I moved her tub she seemed to settle down and stop running so much :joy:

Pairing: 1.0 banana (female maker) fire VPI axanthic x 0.1 pastel het VPI axanthic

7 eggs; 5 fertile, 2 infertile/slugs

Total Egg Weight: 522 grams
Average: ~104.4 grams per egg

Ava weighed in at 1635 grams after laying.

6 Likes

Prelay shed on Charlie — so she’ll be due to lay around May 6th.

Delta should be due to lay any day now too, based on my guesstimate of when she likely shed. I’m still mostly excited about her clutch since she was my very first ball python!

6 Likes

Nice to see the progression looking good. :+1:

3 Likes

Another clutch on the ground!

I set up my old phone (iPhone 12 Pro) as a camera in Delta’s tub, using the Alfred Camera app — even paid $30 for a year of premium so I could see in HD… and checked as soon as I woke up:

Kinda looks like eggs!

Sure enough, I go check on her…

4 little fertile eggs under her!

Pairing: 1.0 banana piebald x 0.1 normal/poss het piebald

4 eggs; 4 fertile

Total Egg Weight: 351 grams
Average: ~89.75 grams per egg

Delta weighed in at 1122 grams after laying.

6 Likes

On another note, my incubator is starting to fill up :joy:
Should have just enough space for the other two clutches that are coming!

7 Likes

Jealous lol :joy:, iPhone 7 here

1 Like

Hah, I gave it to my fiancé to use but he decided to use a different phone… so I put it to use as a camera :woman_shrugging:t3:

I currently have an iPhone 13 Pro Max :rofl: only got it because we traded in a phone though, too expensive otherwise!

2 Likes

Clutch # 5 is here!
The phone camera setup has actually been super useful.

I witnessed her doing a ton of “pretzeling” a few days before laying, where she’d twist herself up in the most odd ways…

Sure enough, today I witnessed her starting to lay her eggs!

She did such a great job for a first time mom, and despite Sherbet being an idiot with locking he’s produced two fully fertile clutches for me thus far.

Pairing: 1.0 banana piebald x 0.1 normal het piebald

7 eggs, 7 fertile

Total Egg Weight: 661 grams
Average: ~94 grams per egg

Penny weighed 1102 grams after laying.

4 Likes

Bonus: freshly laid egg! You can still see the veins running through the egg, it’s pretty cool.

3 Likes

Super cool :sunglasses:!

1 Like

So good and bad news!

Good news… Charlie laid her clutch!

Pairing: 1.0 banana yellowbelly x 0.1 pewter

6 eggs; 6 fertile

Total Egg Weight: 683 grams
~113.83 grams per egg

Charlie laid 1600 grams after laying.

————————

And onto the less exciting news…
While checking the eggs, I discovered two eggs from separate clutches had gone bad. Another had mold on it but looked healthy when candled.

One being Ava’s clutch (the really brown egg) and the other Penny’s clutch (green egg)

Upon cutting both open out of my own morbid curiosity, the embryos were both not alive. The green egg’s goo was white, almost like pus :nauseated_face: the other egg was solid and spongy throughout. Both can be seen below, viewer discretion advised!

3 Likes

Wow, this made me not want to drink my Wawa coffee. I hope that the rest of the eggs turn out for you.

2 Likes

First clutch is on day 60 now (this pic was taken a few days ago though) — no pips yet. I did incubate at 88°F so it’s to be expected, but I hope the little buggers start pipping today. :rofl: the anticipation is killing me!

In other news, all the other eggs are doing great despite a few having minor mold growth. Healthy veins inside of them so I’m not terribly worried.

4 Likes

The first one finally started pipping on day 61! They’re really holding out on me :joy:

https://www.instagram.com/tv/Cd_nQA3luhh/?igshid=YmMyMTA2M2Y=

Here’s a video I posted on my IG of a snippet of my camera feedback showing the little one pipping the egg. Super cool!

5 Likes

Went ahead and cut the eggs— unfortunately one turned out to be stillborn. The umbilical cord was wrapped around the body so likely explanation.

I kinda wish I would have cut the eggs a couple days early like I was so tempted to do, but I also didn’t want to cut too early and waited for one to pip. I could have saved him, perhaps.

Anyways — it looks like we have 1, maybe 2 mystic potions, and the rest all appear to be pastel mystic potions (including the deceased one) — so it’s cool seeing Lucy was in fact pastel!

Edit: Update pic on the babies, 4/5 have popped their heads out so far. Had to pull them out to check on the one that hadn’t yet, but it’s still alive so probably just taking its time.

Edit 2: Couple babies have emerged from their eggs — I think we have one male and one female so far.
It’s also rather interesting how the pastel seems to have completely wiped the pattern, but we’ll have to see how they look after their first shed.

3 Likes