Trouble selling

And just to verify that this is not hyperbole, I was standing at OzzyBoids table at a ReptiCon seven years ago when Tracy Barker called him to buy an animal he had listed. That animal was a VPI Axanthic Pastel Pin.

9 Likes

It also needs to be said that some people will never be successful because they just don’t want it badly enough. They do not have what it takes. It takes a level of dedication and tenacity that most do not possess. It is not a get rich quick scheme. This guy acted like he really wanted to do this but after tons of encouragement from many people here we get nothing from him. He didn’t participate in the conversation. He didn’t even bother to tell us who he is. I feel like I put more effort into trying to help him than he did himself. I sort of feel stupid for falling for it. It obviously wasn’t his dream as he claimed. We got played. Hopefully someone else who genuinely needs some guidance received some benefit from this post.

30 Likes

Hey hey,
We are fairly new to ball pythons and this is our first year on morph market. I have not had any trouble selling animals for the most part, I can tell you certain morphs go a lot faster then others. I will say that social media is a huge factor in the animals we sell. There is 500 mojaves out there, so why would someone want mine? Because a lot of people in this hobby want to support people they know or have some sort of connection to. Most of our sales have been from subscribers on youtube or friends on instagram and facebook.
My biggest tip is grow that social media… make friends and get you animals out there!!

4 Likes

I have absolutely zero doubt that they will, there is some fantastic info here that need ls to be taken seriously by every single person that wants to make money from their hobby. Not just in the reptile world.

10 Likes

I really appreciated your advice in this post and found it very helpful. Any opportunity to learn from some of the great names in the field is valuable because it give insight into the strategies that brought you success.

Breeding animals is a ton of hard work and often seems like an uphill battle at certain stages. If someone decides that this isn’t the right path for them, it’s probably better for them to figure it out early before investing a lot of time and money into it.

5 Likes

Also guys, don’t forget that if you have a YouTube channel we have a thread specifically designated to sharing it … Your YouTube channel.
(This is the only place in the forum where this is allowed)

4 Likes

Thank you!! I didn’t even realize there was a thread for that.

2 Likes

For me at least, this is the most inspiring and encouraging thread on the internet. Solid advice, very constructive critique.

7 Likes

This was where my opinion fell after he brushed off what I had to say as worthless criticism.

Criticism is not inherently bad and if you choose to apply someone’s criticism of you in a constructive manner then it can lead to potential growth.

He, obviously, chose not to.

7 Likes

I dont think a complete loss. I’m sure there are new breeders reading this that maybe were thinking the same thing but just didn’t make a post about it, and there’s some valuable information here.

it’s actually pretty funny how much in common ball python breeding has with other hobbies & industries I’ve also been involved in (horses and the music world). I don’t even own a snake yet and it seems pretty obvious to me that a single gene male is not particularly marketable in the first place.

5 Likes

just because he didn’t reply didn’t mean he didn’t take on the information and consider it. takes some time for criticism to sink in for even the best of us. it also looks like he sold the snake too, so his complaining was all for naught lol

2 Likes

I got encouraged by this thread. What @mikewilbanks said reminded me of this quote

So much encouragement

5 Likes

Even if the original poster doesn’t appreciate all of this wonderful information, many of us newbies do.

I have this post bookmarked, and I plan to come back to it and follow much of the advice.

10 Likes

Yup, agreed. This should be a ‘sticky’ or whatever the equivalent is here on this forum. Billy’s rant in the video above (and I detest ‘rant’ videos), Wilbanks and some of the other heavy hitters chiming in, active regulars participating… This thread is gold.

Thanks to all of you.

2 Likes

At the minute we already have quite a few “stickys” up, so many so that it is a bit overwhelming for new users.
However recently I started a new tag for topics like this where you can find helpful information and tutorials.

informational

I ask that this tag is to only be added by staff members, to keep it on its intended course
If you see or know of a post that will fit that tag, DM it to me and we will discuss it.

5 Likes

I will say, as a person who is only just now able to break into the hobby and is hoping to breed in the future, this thread is full of wonderful information and makes many points I hadn’t even thought about!

That being said one of the things that I didn’t really see mentioned (and maybe it was and I just missed it) is that having a professional-looking logo or landing page plays a huge factor in whether or not I, as a buyer, consider buying from a particular seller.

The logo is really the face of your business, and most of the time it is going to be what sticks in the mind of potential buyers. If your logo, brand, etc. looks like it was just thrown together in paint at the last minute, it reflects poorly on the business. A solid graphic for your business shows that you are willing to put in the time and effort to present yourself in a professional way, and it also demonstrates that you don’t skimp on the details. In the OP’s case, his store profile pic is just curly white font on a black background, nothing that stands out or really tells me anything about his store.

Sorry if this seems superficial compared to the other advice on this thread, but I’ve got a bit of a background in graphic design, so it is one of the first things I notice :sweat_smile:

6 Likes

I feel personally attacked :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

7838_2 (1)

You do make a extremely good point though. :+1:

But on the other side of the coin, just because they have a good logo doesn’t mean that they have good husbandry or sales ethics.

4 Likes

Don’t feel attacked! Your logo is actually quite nice! It is visually interesting and immediately lets the buyer know several things about the store. The point is that it looks like you put in the effort to make something that looks nice for your customer base, which in turn makes you look more credible.

And of course, you can’t judge a book by its cover, and someone with a great front could be selling lemons. The fact of the matter is, though, that lots of casual buyers do judge books by their cover. So if you are a new seller and are following all of the other advice on this thread and still not getting many hits, you may benefit from investing in developing your brand and image.

4 Likes

Of course not but it shows they have a professional approach. A sharp logo is a great addition to anyone starting out.

3 Likes

I’m just playing :wink:

Thank you, I won’t lie and say this was my first attempt :joy: there was a lot worse ones in the drafts folder.

Oh damn right it is. I’m not disputing that, just don’t let that be a reason to disregard checking a seller out before purchasing :yum:

We have this thread … Company name and logo opinions if anyone wants to find or add any tips on this :blush:

2 Likes