Hello! I have an old birdcage that I’m trying to convert into a reptile terrarium, most of it is wood with plexiglass doors and mesh ventilation, I can replace some of the mesh with plexiglass but I am worried about humidity. The dimensions are H = 48 in x L = 47 1/4 in x W = 22 1/2 in, there’s 12 1/4 inches of space from the base to the bottom of the door that could fit the substrate. I did the calculations and it should be around 220 gallons. I would prefer something lower maintenance but I’m open to ideas, What should I get for this cage?
There is no reptile that would not do better in a purpose- designed reptile enclosure. The cost of an appropriate enclosure amortized over the lifespan of a reptile is negligible.
Also, an appropriate enclosure affects what other equipment is needed; the cost savings in heating for an appropriate enclosure can itself pay for that enclosure over time, for example. One vet visit could cost more than an enclosure, and many vet visits are caused by marginal equipment.
Also, making a choice of which reptile to keep based on whether it might tolerate a life in a random enclosure misses nearly everything important about such a choice.
I have a 120 gal reptile tank already, I just didn’t know what exactly could go in this cage since I don’t plan on getting another bird. I figured it would be worth it to ask just in case there is something that could go in this cage.
It’s best to choose the reptile first because you really like that particular reptile and want to own it. Then choose the enclosure that suits/is made for that reptile’s health and well being. Choosing a reptile to put in something you happen to have on hand, like an old birdcage, is not fair to that animal and kinda says you care more about the makeshift cage than the animal…….
Let me rephrase, it’s for a vet school with a foster program. It would not be a permanent solution and we have the budget and the materials to convert the cage into a proper reptile enclosure, my question is that if we got a reptile surrendered to us that would do good in a cage with those dimensions, what reptile would that be? I apologize for my poor wording in my original comment, I probably should have stated that it would be for fostering surrendered reptiles, not to get a reptile specifically for the cage.
Even though this post sheds a bit of light on the situation, I still am of the opinion that whatever lizard is rescued should be housed in an enclosure made for that lizard. Bird cages are made to house birds. If you already have funds in your budget I suggest the funds should be used for an enclosure suitable for a lizard, or lizards in general.
But thank you for the clarification!
That’s more than poor wording.
I’m thinking people operating a vet school would (a) not be using rebuilt wooden enclosures, and (b) have a good idea of what animals and enclosures are good matches without a pre-considered list, and (c) know that a lot more than “dimensions” is relevant to how a herp is housed.
That thought did enter my mind as well…..
Most vet schools are unfortunately not reptile focused, if you go to your basic general practice the vet isn’t going to know much about reptile health, that is why I posted the question here. The cage was originally a tortoise enclosure that was converted to a bird cage, but I was not aware of that fact when I originally posted my question. We have three 120 gallon tanks, the instructor was just curious as to if the old cage could be used and for what if so, it was not a set decision, just a question.
If this is the case (emphasis on ‘if’), please tell your instructor that if this is the level of quality with which they’re approaching this situation then they have zero business taking in any herps.
I’m confused, would you rather she go ahead and do whatever she comes up with regarding our reptiles? All this post was for was to ask if it was a possibility and if so, if it was a good idea. The school isn’t completely lost in regards to herpetology, we have proper set ups and have housed many reptiles over the years, we just didn’t know if said cage could be converted because the research both the instructor and students have made have given very conflicting answers. The idea that we should use the cage was immediately thrown away upon your first response, my later replies were simply for clarification since my wording was not the best. There is no need to say my instructor should not be able to house reptiles over a simple question, she genuinely just did not know and requested her question to be posted on a site that has people more knowledgeable on herpetology than her, I don’t really understand why the fact the question was asked is such an issue.
One or another of the phrasings of the question was patently false. Asking questions in a way that’s not accurate as to one’s goals is deceptive. Deception is bad, especially when it is being used to get info about caring for animals (I only give advice when I think it will be used safely). We don’t know which of the versions is the correct one, but a reasonable interpretation would suggest the first one is the more plausible.
My point is that if someone is going around the internet asking something so hopelessly basic – and not realizing that, for example, a wooden cage is very much not the sort of thing to be passing multiple random animals through, as in a “foster” situation – then that person should not be taking in herps under the implication that those herps will be well cared for, since that person doesn’t have anywhere close to the knowledge necessary to do so.
“Herpetoculture” is the term that refers to the husbandry of reptiles and amphibians. Herpetology is something different.