Trying to learn about snakes

Hello, my name is Tracey I am new to this site, I joined because my guy likes Pythons and we were looking for an Emerald Green Tree Python, I myself like Chameleons. Thank you so much for allowing me to join this unique community.

4 Likes

Hi and welcome is this gonna be your first snake? Because if so you will soon realize after doing some research that GTP are not a beginner snakes.

5 Likes

Hi Tracey welcome to the community.
As far as Green Tree Pythons go, I definitely would not recommend those as a beginner species. Iā€™ve been in the hobby for a long time, and I keep reticulated pythons which are a more advanced species of snake to keep. Iā€™ve always wanted a GTP but even for an experienced herper like myself, Iā€™m still hesitant to get one. Iā€™m not trying to discourage you at all, but that species is expensive to care for, hard to feed at times, and not handle friendly most of the time. They are a very advanced species of snake, and definitely do some research on them.

4 Likes

Welcome to the forum Tracey! Just as others have said I would definitely hold off to get a GTP for reasons already stated. A chameleon could possibly be do able but even then can be challenging for a new owner because they can get easily stressed and are somewhat fragile. I think some good alternatives to a GTP would get rough green snakes or vine snakes or anything that is beginner level. Hope this helps and take care!

1 Like

Welcome.

I will buck convention here a littleā€¦ How old are you? I ask this because, while I can generally agree that chondros are not great beginner species, that is usually because the ā€œbeginnerā€ is a younger person who is acting more in an impulse buy ā€œsnakes-are-coolā€ fashion. I do believe that a more mature individual can successfully keep a chondro as their first animal after they have put in all the preliminary research needed before making a purchase. I would generally say the same of chameleons; not the best for that impulse buy ā€œbaby dinosaurā€ feeling beginner but certainly alright for someone that has put in the time to do their homework before hand

Also, you said you were interested in an ā€˜Emerald Green Tree Pythonā€™. I feel like you may have lumped the names Emerald Tree Boa and Green Tree Python together and those are two completely different snakes. So as a small clarification, which is it you were interested in? Because I might well change my above answer as I do not believe ETBs are a candidate beginner animals regardless of maturity level.

4 Likes