Tubs for large females

I’m sure I’m not the only person that feels like 41qt tubs/fb70s/etc are just a little too small for large female ball pythons.

Is anybody using a larger tub size for females? If so, what?

If you feel like 41qt tubs are plenty of room for adult females, feel free to elaborate on why.

I’ve read studies recently that show that snakes that are unable to properly straighten their bodies exhibit higher levels of stress.

2 Likes

In my experience it depends on the individual animal and what one would consider a large female. I have one female that doesn’t even fit uncomfortably in a 70 series tub. I have LOTS of very big girls and I think they are fine in them. Some girls just don’t do well in them.

3 Likes

Are you referring to them not fitting uncomfortably because they are too big for the tub?

What tub size do you use for the females that don’t do well in them?

I currently have all of mine from juveniles to adult females in 41qt tubs, but am thinking of building some more terrarium style cages for my big females (if the price of plywood ever goes down). I like for them to be able to roam around a bit more, and then I’ll just continue to use the rack for juveniles as a grow out space. I’ve heard of people use the big Christmas tree storage tubs for ball python enclosures, so I’m also considering trying to make sometime of rack system with those. It will definitely be less space efficient than the 41qt tubs, will will give way more room for roaming and climbing

3 Likes

The christmas tree tubs are a good idea. I don’t really like retail grade tubs. I’ve had issues with snakes escaping out of 41 qt sterilites because of the terrible quality. Super flimsy and no 2 tubs are ever the same height.

1 Like

Have you considered using mortor mixing tubs or hydroponic plant growing tubs? Some are 2 ft wide by 3 ft long and quite sturdy compared to sterlite bins. Downside is yeah you’d have to build your own rack.
I think if you want more space the most economical option in the long run would be to save up and order a plethora of FB90 or FB80 tubs or 4 foot pvc cages. You’d be looking at atleast $500 compared to cheap home depot mortar tubs, however FB tubs and PVC cages will last forever if you take care of them.

2 Likes

They work great! I used them exclusively for years keeping short tail pythons. Also raised my sd retics in them. They would for sure be big enough to give any adult female room to move. You can get them after Christmas dirt cheap. There is also a few places you can get premade racks for them.

3 Likes

I have one female that is way too much to fit most adult rack so she’s been in a 3x2 PVC for about 5-6 years…she’s also pushing 8kg.

Feeding pic removed by staff

5 Likes

That is more then huge lol

3 Likes

I use 71qt. tubs for my adult females and they seem good. :sweat_smile:

3 Likes

What are the dimensions of your 71 qt tubs?

2 Likes

I think there 44x 18x 6 but I’ll have to check.

3 Likes

No I was wrong it’s a 45x20x6

2 Likes

Here in Europe certain countries have laws about the minimum size of an enclosure, so the rack companies over here have other options above the standard 70 series 33"x17" tubs. One option that I have seen which is made by LP is 40"x24" which is certainly big enough for even the biggest monster female ball python.
There are also other options like vision boa tubs, FB90 tubs and non-reptile tubs like Xmas tree tubs and mortar tubs, and of course if you want to go with front opening vivaria you can build or order one in any size you like.

4 Likes

That sounds like the perfect size. Do you happen to know the brand of those tubs?

I am having the same issues. My females just seem squeezed into the larger size breeder tubs or totes. I currently house mine in the biggest box store sweater style totes I can find. I believe the ones I am using are around 40x19x7. Some of my snakes enjoy a hide or 2. I have decided to go with 4x2 pvc vs tubs in a rack. Cost more but not only are my snakes part time breeders they are my pets as well and feel the tubs/totes are a bit tight in my personal opinion. Especially when you run a hide or two and enrichment like I do.

No but I’ll check when I get home

The company that makes them is called LP racks, they are based out of Denmark. The 40"x24" model (1000mmx600mm on their website) is the LP100.

2 Likes

Sorry I thought you were replying to me :joy:

2 Likes

It would be great if more snake rack producers offered tubs that not only had more floor space, but also more height. I definitely don’t want to start another convo about BP’s climbing (or not :), but I breed Corn Snakes, which absolutely will climb if given the chance (as do many species commonly kept by others in the hobby; kings, milks, rats, many boas, etc…). I don’t think anyone would argue that exercise is not good for snakes (especially breeding females). I have been forced to build my own racks that will accommodate tubs large and high enough to provide climbing opportunities for my corns. I’m a pretty good builder but I’d definitely spend $ on a professionally-built PVC rack with the right dimensions.

3 Likes