Ugly ball python combos?

The only problem I have with the axanthic is it fades sooooooooooo bad lol.

3 Likes

Some axanthics do. Bad lines fade, whereas quality lines stay monochrome. That said, axanthic should honestly be called hypoxanthic, since there is still yellow pigment.

2 Likes

All lines fade some less than others. They all “brown” out with age. Ask any other breeder that works with them if you don’t believe me.

To be fair, all BPs fade. Only way to keep em brighter is to add things in the fire complex.

Yea some genes will help them hold color better. I have hatched quite a few axanthic and axanthic combos over the last twenty years. Imo my opinion the line that holds there color the best is gcr. That is what I currently work with. In the past I have produced vpi and tsk. And honestly I don’t think line matters as much as quality because I’ve seen amazing examples of every line.

1 Like

Personally, I hate the way clowns with washed out heads look. Ex: Killer clowns, lesser/butter clowns, firefly clowns, superfly clowns, ect. Imo, as much as I love pastel, it makes clowns the ugliest ball pythons. Give me a GHI clown or a banana clown any day over a pastel clown

1 Like

8 Likes

@kacie872 What is this lovely champagne combo? Champagne hypo ?

2 Likes

Pastel champagne leopard :heart_eyes:

1 Like

If you breed desert ghost into a clown combo. Wouldn’t it keep the colors bright and keep them from fading into adulthood?

Yes, that was the main reason for the creation of the combo. It really does keep it from fading from the few adult and subadult DG clowns I have seen.

1 Like

Alright, I’ll say it. I think Highways are gross. Everytime I look at them, all I can see is a hot dog with mustard streaks on it. I feel similarly about Freeways. Some of them look like cold hot dogs, others look like grilled hot dogs – but in the end, they’re all hot dogs with mustard streaks on them.

5 Likes

I wasn’t very fond of highways either until I saw a banana enchi yellow belly gravel the other day. I think that was all the genes that was in it. It might have had another. Anyway it was an awesome colored BP. I want to make one.

5 Likes

For me, not a fan of the combos that produce completely hazy patternless brownish or greyish snakes. I get that they are often wonderful for breeding programs because they have 4,5,6 genes. But visually just meh. I do love a strong dorsal display so some ghi combos are still appealing to me.
Right now the genes Im most interested in are Bamboo combos for dorsal effects, Clown combos for side panel displays, and for coloration Ultramels especially with OD

6 Likes

Do you feel the same about pastel or super pastel highways? Those look amazing in my opinion.

I love highways!!! Man is orange super nice morph imo.

3 Likes

If you breed Desert ghost into the highways.
It would make the colors brighter and more defined. Is that correct?

1 Like

Yes in theory! There are a lot of lighting and Brighting genes out there. Some gold there color better than others! Pastel turns a highway into a white snake. I’m not a huge fan of white snakes. Enchi highway is a bright orange color very nice!

5 Likes

Yes; I see moldy hotdogs with mustard. I can’t unsee it!

2 Likes

I love Blue Eyed Lucy’s and the Cherry Bombs (Albino Super Mojave). I want to make these
2 morphs, work with Desert Ghost and I want to make some Albino Pieds, Enchi Orange Dream Banana pieds, really anything pied. LOL!