Ultramel... What a magic morph!

I’ve been lucky enough to see an ultramel clown in person and I can say it’s definitely worth the work that a double recessive requires. It’s on my list to work towards for sure.

2 Likes

And Ultra Clown would be amazing!

Eden’s Gate Serpents just produced some ultramel tristripes

1 Like

Our single gene ultramel we’re raising up

8 Likes

Enchi Ultramel I just picked up

9 Likes

I love ultramel here’s what I’m working on

And my pastel leopard het ultramel × het ultramel

4 Likes

Love it probably the best enchi ultramel I’ve seen I’ve seen a few that just seemed dirtier from the enchi where did you get this awesome find

1 Like

@novisreptiles Morphmarket of course! She was priced about the same as a regular Ultramel female…so I had to scoop her up :grin:

4 Likes

Haha well then :thinking:

2 Likes

7 Likes

That is 1 of the best looking balls I’ve seen I’m very impressed with the balls I’m seeing less known breeders are making.

3 Likes

:heart_eyes: what a beautiful snake

4 Likes

Do you still have her?

3 Likes

Please refresh my memory on ultramel genetics. Does it have anything to do with the old mutation called caramel? I’m thinking it’s just a naming confusion but the MorphMedia page sort of makes it sound like they might be alleles. I like the look of caramel better but had abandoned my caramel project after finding out about the female fertility issues and I did see a tail kink. If they are compatible what does the combo look like? Does it get the kinking or problems laying good eggs from the caramel side? I have three 50% chance het caramel girls left and wasn’t planning to pair with anything caramel but might try ultramel if the combo is visual and viable. Also, how does Crider relate?

I’m assuming that caramel means caramel albino. After looking at the MorphMarket marketplace for het ultramel het caramel albino they appear as normals. So I can tell you that they aren’t allelic or the same morph.

Crider, Burgandy Albino, and Ultramel are all the same. Different names, possibly different lines, but they all interbreed and produce “ultramel looking” offspring. So at the least, they are allelic and compatible.

Caramel Albino is a different gene.

Ultramel does not have the same issues as Caramel with kinking and infertility.

I have heard from other breeders in conversations that Monarch and Ultramel, while having similar effects, are not the same gene or allelic. I have not tested this personally as I have no Monarch in my collection. Honestly, as high a price as a visual Monarch commands, I can’t see anyone intentionally making that cross anyway.

For the record, I’m very happy with the ultramel line we’re working with here, and very excited to, hopefully, have dh melpieds in the incubator this season along with, potentially bamboo hra hetmels.

Our boy Mel is very calm and easygoing, and locks up like a Marine private on a three day pass!

6 Likes

I’ll not get a het ultramel for the possible het caramel girls. A shame caramel didn’t work out. Guess I should keep warning buyers their offspring are 25% chance het caramel. Probably eventually give in and start an ultramel project but I’m still mourning the caramel project I started 20 some years ago (with a possible het male I think). Maybe ultramel desert ghost will look like caramel.

I think that it’s just the visual caramel that has the problems. I don’t work with it because I like the mels better, but isn’t caramel allelic with one of the other albinos? You could go that route.

Be a couple more generations, but I’ll let you know on the mel/dg!:grin::+1:
I suspect it will be a very clean and light mel. I think I’ll do it with ghi or enchi or black pastel to get pattern and contrast. Then mel/dg/clown just for giggles.:sweat_smile::grin: I hope I live long enough, this might take awhile…

Sounds like a fun project, good luck.

Yes, only the visual caramels have problems. Probably rare enough now days not a high chance of accidentally breeding two hets.

stunning and very cute!:heart_eyes: