Unknown Tadpole Rescue ID [HELP PLEASE]

Look who has some tiny but fully anatomically developed legs! 2 of the 3 have legs developing, the runt does not have any nubs. Could be that he is just a bit behind bc of his size, or he could be missing the metamorphosis genetics.

I leave for uni on Thursday, and I plan to bring these fellows with me.
They still eat cucumbers and other veggies currently, when they become froglets and frogs they will need small crickets to eat.

I don’t know if this is breaking forum guidelines to ask, sorry if it is, but does anyone know of a reputable feeder cricket service that ships the insects? I don’t have a car on campus and the nearest pet store to my campus is nearly 50 miles away. Looking for a nice website to buy from.

I love All About Feeders, and I could feed my frogs BSFL from them, but they do not sell crickets.
So,
a) would BSFL be a fine replacement for crickets?
b) if no, does anyone know of a cricket shipping service?

Thanks!

3 Likes

Tadpoles and froglets are tough to get good shots of, I think these came out alright!

2 Likes

Josh’s Frogs sells a variety of live feeders, including crickets.

2 Likes

Earthworms are also great feeders for them. With the added bonus of them being able to be kept in the fridge for a while.

2 Likes

Thank you!

2 Likes

Oh perfect! And they’re nice and quiet for a dorm room, unlike crickets.

Hopefully my froggies take a few months before starting to croak :rofl:

2 Likes

Update:
The tads were upgraded to their adult habitat, with 2 water areas (where they are residing currently, and they have rocks to climb to escape once they are froglets), live plants, and a food dish.

I used 2 water features bc the little one still has no leg nubs, and may be a forever tad, so I wanted to keep him seperate so the bigger legged tads don’t out compete him for food, or worse, decide he is food.

I have a station set up for easy water changes to avoid any smell in the room, and I have easy access to a variety of veggies for them now, and BSFL for when they need it. They also have tadpole pellets as a supplement every few days.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated, I’ve never raised an amphibian before, this might give me some good practice for future species.

6 Likes

Congratulations on them! I am super happy that they are doing good.

4 Likes

Thank you! Hopefully my little schedule helps keep them happy while keeping any tadpole smell down.
Currently they get fresh veggies every 2 days, removed after 24 hours. Tadpole pellets once a day, just enough that they can eat within 30 minutes. I do an 80% water change every 2 days and I plan on…idk a 100% water change every 2 weeks?
Still learning, I appreciate everyone’s advice!

3 Likes

Big Legs is starting to deveope some very handsome stripes!
He is still grayscale, with no hint of green, and these stripes are dark black.
I think identification could be on the horizon!

7 Likes

Its usually bullfrog tadpols that end up in the mix due to their size, so that would be my guess

4 Likes

You did it! That’s them down to the freckles!
Well, they may just be common bullfrogs and not some exotic tree frog, but I love them all the same.

7 Likes

Quick Update: tads are doing great, and the entire biology department is invested in trying to figure out what subspecies of bullfrog or green frog they are before the transformation is complete. They also think the mutant forever tadpole is adorable bc he is a forever little baby man

7 Likes

BIG UPDATE: Mr. Big Boy hid front arms from me!
Although I hear that while the back legs devlop externally, the front legs develop in the tadpole and then burst out once they are fully formed, so he may very well be as surprised as I am!

10 Likes

I love watching the development- very cool!

3 Likes

I think it should take him another 2 weeks or so to fully form his limbs and absorb his tail, and then he’ll be switched from tadpole feed to small BSFL. So excited to see his very first hops on land!

7 Likes

12 Likes

He is so cute!

3 Likes

He keeps splashing the water with his hands, he’s not trying to swim he’s just figuring them out and it makes me want to sob it’s so cute :heart_eyes: :sob:

5 Likes

Sad Update: The small malformed tadpole that wasn’t growing any limbs jumped the tank in a surprising burst of strength while I was in class, and I didn’t notice and search/find him until he had already passed. Even now I have him in a glass of water hoping he just needed revived.
I’m pretty distraught, I feel like I rescued the poor thing only to have him die because I didn’t find him fast enough, and suffocation is long and painful.
Bad night in the frog house :frowning:

4 Likes