Unknown Tadpole Rescue ID [HELP PLEASE]

I’m sorry to hear that! I had that happen with a research axolotl once, it was very sad. It was totally out of the blue, like a freak incident. Be confident that he had a great life with you!

And he actually may not have survived much longer due to his deformity. When I used to work with metamorphosing tadpoles, the uncommon ones I got that were visibly significantly abnormal never made it to metamorphosis and would just pass one day.

4 Likes

I appreciate the kind words! Even tho its sad and I feel awful, you’re right. He didn’t spend his last weeks in a filthy overcrowded feeder minnow tank, and he may have simply reached his genetic cut-off.

Poor little dude

6 Likes

A Much Happier Update:
The largest of the 2 remaining babies is absorbing his tail, and officially became a froglet by hopping up onto the rock island in his tupperware pond! Photo ASAP, he is just very timid at this stage and very eager to show how fast he can zoom away with his new big boy legs.
The last remaining tadpole has huge back legs and a robust appetite, so I expect front limbs any day now! I’ll be ordering BSFL very soon to transition them to live protein and off the tadpole pellets.

6 Likes

8 Likes

Fwoggies got big :heart: glad ypu are enjoying your resuces.

3 Likes

Thank you! I’m so hopeful I can keep them safe and healthy, there’s a new level of difficulty now that he’s BOUNCING EVERYWHERE :joy:

3 Likes

He leveled up because he had enough experience points :joy: i believe his hit die is 1D8+4 :joy: :joy::joy:. Only true nerds will get this :woman_shrugging: :exploding_head: :stuck_out_tongue: :joy:

4 Likes

I don’t know much about DND but I DO know he has gained MANY points specifically to his jump stats!

3 Likes

He had a dexterity increase :joy::metal:

3 Likes

He lurks

7 Likes

Awww adorbs :smiling_face_with_three_hearts: i love fwoggies :heart:

2 Likes

I love the surface lurking, very cute!

2 Likes

The other tadpole just popped his front legs! Within the next week I should (hopefully) have 2 bright and happy (hoppy?) froglets!

They are currently in a 20 gallon tank that is filled with soil and water stones. The water areas are a small and large tupperware set into the soil filled with water and stones for exits.

Once the 2 are both full frogs and have gotten some big boy meals in them (so in the next month or so?) I’m thinking of reversing the land/water ratio. AKA: poke holes in a tupperware so water can flow and not be stagnant, fill with rocks and pothos, and put their food dish up there. Then the rest of the tank is water area with a few rocks for hiding and surfacing.

Thoughts on this transition? The original set up was so I could be ready in case the tadpoles were frogs OR toads, it’s very clear now they are water frogs.

The only issue, I have no filter. So would simple water replacements like I’m doing now work for more water?

Would love everyone’s opinion on this!

4 Likes

I think without investing a bunch of money on a filter system, just offering a swim bowl, you can certainly buy some cute pond like bowls. Just make sure to kerp the water clean. I would recommend distilled or filtered spring water, don’t use tap water!. You can go bioactive or you don’t have to. I guess it comes down to if you want to spend money or not. Biodude’s live pillow moss is good to help maintain moisture and they dont need much to grow on for example it can grown without huge root systems.

I just wet it down to rehydrate it and then stick it. You can certainly purchase artifical ponds for enclosures or create naturalistic environment.

Once i went bioactive for my animals that thrive in damp humid environment, i really enjoy them. I really dont want it any other way. When i wasn’t as financially secure, i certainly did a lot of home builds and so long as your animals husbandry needs are met theres nothing wrong with a Tupperware water pond etc.

I really love Reptizoo enclosures, the price point is nice and i like that i can build them fast and also take them down flat in the event that i no longer need it at the time or i move.

I think i recall you saying that you were a student and not a lot of students have lots of free flowing cash to burn, i think what you are doing is fine. I would get a mister the one i bought is manual and wasn’t too expensive at all.

But you do get bonus points for having enough inner nerd to know what i was talking about :metal: :heart:

1 Like

So here is their current semi-bioactive habitat. The tupperwares are the water areas they are seperated into currently. I use a water bottle to do 80% or higher water changes every other day, and I’m adding the reptiblue dechlorine/deflouride stuff to treat the water before I add it to their tanks.

Im wondering if, since they are bullfrogs who spend more time in water v. on land, maybe I should switch it up in a month or so when they are more established and less delicate.

The current idea:
Place frogs into holding container
Remove tupperwares, plants, rocks
Take tank outside and add soil to some flowerbeds
Rinse/fully empty tank of soil
Bring tank back in
Poke holes into the black tupperware on top of tank in photo (allow water flow)
Add rocks into tupperware, with some pothos anchored in
TA DA land mass created!
Add land mass to empty tank
Add a few more rocks around + rest of pothos
Fill the tank with water up to the level of the land mass
Add frogs

Basically, the tank is currectly 80:20 land the water, and I’m thinking I should reverse it?
I think it would be just as easy to use my water bottle scoop and replace method?

2 Likes

I also have some really good spray bottles I use to wet down my land snail terrarium (again with the dechlorinated water) so that’s good!

1 Like

I would be weary of soil from the garden, it may contain pesticides, parasites and fertilizer. I just buy all organic soil its not to expensive. I would look for something to partially cover the pond so they can retreat into it, in the wild they would certainly dive to get away. If you buy distilled water like a buck a gallon you won’t have to go with all that water treatment. Distilled water already has all the harmful stuff removed from water. You can get some aquatic plants as well.

If you go semi bioactive with live land plants you really want distilled, its not going to have salts in it that kill plants, also you want plants that do well around that moisture and humidity, too much watering can kill your plants just as easily as not watering enough. A lot of indoor plants are tropical/subtropical so works well. Things like root rot is bad so you do have to watch the amount you water, typically i wet the sides of the enclosure and subrate but i don’t always water the plants. Damp but not soaking. If you can pick up substrate and squeeze any water out, its way to wet. Spring tails aregood ( tropical pink) to take care of any fungas.

For true bioactive lile i do i start with clay balls then i put substrate barrier then i place a combo of soil, leaf litter spaghum moss dampen squeeze out all the water. Then i place a layer of activated charcoal my springtails and food next then i add my organic soil. Always remove soil from store bought plants, be gentle to destroy the root systems. I use
This directly on fresh roots and a little in the hole i prepare for the plant, this will help your plant have stronger roots and teduces shock of transplant.

Obviously you don’t have to get as elaborate lile i do.

2 Likes

Oh sorry for any confusion! I mean I’ll get rid of all the soil by compostin it in the garden. I think a small soil area in a bigger pond in the tank would just fall into the water, so I’m thinking rocks only for the land mass, not soil?

1 Like

I would give them water space, its like their safe place they may hop out on land but when they get scared they will leap into the water. So long as they have a way out. They spend most time in and around water holes id have a bigger water area than land.