Unusual mass inside egg

Im new to the breeding hobby and my first clutch was laid in December. Pairing was Lesser X Super Pastel Spider Blade Het Clown. The clutch was 5 eggs and I noticed a rather large dark spot on one of the eggs. It had only been between 8-10 hours when they was laid. Hatch day came FEB 19 2023 and took out the baby inside the egg with the dark spot was found to be kinked and had died. It was full size but when baby was taken out there was a yellow goo substance stuck to where the dark spot was. I’m sure that wasn’t part of the yolk sack? The egg in question in photo is the second egg from bottom

2 Likes

I don’t think anyone could give you a real reason as to why the spot developed or how to avoid it in the future. I think it’s just one of those “that’s nature” type things. I’m sorry though about you losing the baby

3 Likes

Sadly, that’s just nature. Things happen.
I just had a perfectly healthy rat just pass a litter full of stillborns a couple days ago. Only 2 live babies.

We sadly cannot control everything. I hope it was just a fluke, but if you repeat the pairing and something like this happens again, I would retire them as breeders.

3 Likes

Here is a picture of a deformed? boa baby from last year……. Probably not the same as yours but I thought I would share it. It’s sad to have a snake baby die. Sorry for your loss…… :cry:

1 Like

I think she was a first time breeder, I’ll have to double check. I’ll monitor her clutch if I breed her again this year and see if it happens again. Overall it was a pretty good success. I just wish more breeders would post their unsuccessful eggs and pics of the babies

2 Likes