US Bulb Ban Causing Heat Lamp Issues?

Hey all, this one is for the US folks.
Saw this article tonight about an upcoming nationwide ban on incandescent lightbulbs in favor of LED only.

https://www.newsnationnow.com/business/tech/energy-department-light-bulb-ban/amp/

Was wondering everyone’s thoughts on if and how this could impact heating and lighting for our reptiles. Are heat or UV lights LED already, are some brands only, etc?

I’m very underknowledged here so I’m a blank slate here.

4 Likes

This must be part of the green energy movement. Imho this could throw a monkey wrench into things for people who heat from above? I’m afraid this ban may be the first of many more to come……. :thinking:

4 Likes

I am hopeful this doesn’t include lights for the health and well being of animals. The article stated this:
“The DOE hasn’t totally banned all incandescent lights, just the ones most commonly used in homes and that are not energy efficient.”

5 Likes

Hopefully this will be the case but to be honest I’m not sure just how much the DOE really cares about our animals…….

3 Likes

Read the exceptions in the actual wording of the law (it’s page 83), infrared and reflector lamps are excluded (as are plant grow lamps and a bunch of others), so it will not impact the hobby at all from the looks of it.

8 Likes

Whew! That’s good! You should be a lawyer! Lol!

4 Likes

Whew thank you! As an over-head light heating gal I was worried!

5 Likes

Yeah, sometimes legislation is far too broad, but in this case I think they actually did consider the impact to certain businesses that require specific lamps. The media needs views so they always word things to pull you in but don’t actually include the wording of the laws themselves. Drives me batty as it’s all readily available.

5 Likes