Using Conversion Lids for Arboreal Geckos

I was looking at inexpensive enclosures for mourning geckos and I came across lids that go on aquariums and turn it into a front-opening tank. This is where I bought one from. It should be delivered soon and I’ll update with how it works. The lid (for a 20g high) is $38 and the tank is about $25. So the total enclosure only costs about $60 compared to ~$200 for a front-opening vivarium.
It would likely work better for small geckos like mourning geckos and day geckos because there aren’t any gaps (there is a vent in the front but I’m going to cover it with screen) for them to escape. It also takes less space but still provides plenty of room. I’m going to try it with mourning geckos and might use it for my day gecko rack.
What are your thoughts on how this works? Do you think it’s lacking anything that an exo-terra or zilla would provide?
@ghoulishcresties @foxreptile Do you think this could work for a crested gecko?

3 Likes

That would work for cresties too :grin:

As long as 45x45x60 size size. I don’t get the gallons haha

2 Likes

I don’t understand gallons either, but this is something I eventually want for my Cresties. It looks like it would do great.

Would love an update, esp with mourning geckos as they are escape artists

2 Likes

Speaking of^
One of mines in the outhouse. Can’t catch it :joy:

2 Likes

The dimensions are 30x40x60 (24x12x16"). So it’s a bit smaller but I think it would work for a single crested gecko. I think it should work well for small geckos since there aren’t any gaps. The lid silicones onto the aquarium and there’s only a tiny gap in the door, too small for geckos.

2 Likes

Ive seen these conversion kits used in groups on the book of face. They work well from what ive seen, but some folks dont like them for lack of airflow, like you get with the zoomed or thrive front opening vivs.

2 Likes

My experience: use a proper adhesive instead of just silicone like the instructions. Then silicone the outside edge like you would a bathtub. Baby wipes are a good way to clean your gecko’s Picassos on them, since acrylic scratches easily. The metal bits also are prone to rust from high moisture.

4 Likes

That’s good to know. I’m going to do that. Thank you!

1 Like

@erieherps I’ve been eyeing these too. I want one to turn our 20gal long into a front opening enclosure for our Leo.

Definitely keep us updated, please!

1 Like

I’ve seen these used for leos and horizontal enclosures. I’m not sure if the door would be big enough for it to be practical for a horizontal enclosure but I’ll update with my opinions once I get it.

2 Likes

The biggest concern that I’ve had with these is that I can’t use UV with them. I’ve seen people say that day geckos don’t need UV, but I think it would still help. But, if I’m going to be saving $140 per enclosure I might be able to cut out the top part and add a screen (assuming it’s not tempered).

2 Likes

I have used them in the past for crested, they worked just fine as long as they are cut right and glued on well.
Just a recommendation though on using tanks tipped on their sides:
Seal the top rim of the tank that is going to be on the bottom. Some tanks aren’t sealed properly at the rim and may leak water and create a mess.

5 Likes

I’m not sure if UV is a requirement, however it’s good to be able to have it ready, just incase you do need it.

I’ve been raising some with little UV (males only) and there has been a slight difference in growth but still appear healthy & happy.

2 Likes

I’m thinking UV more for day geckos. They need it. I think I might be able to cut a section out of the top and install a screen on it.

2 Likes

There was a video about doing this sorta… someone basically deconstructed a glass tank to make it front open. However i would imagine you could take the same concept and remove a short end to install a screen to make it more arboreal. They basically took a putty knife, took off the sealant from the side they were removing and installed their doors.

Ill see if i can find the video.

2 Likes

Ok, this wasnt the video i rekember seeing. But it actually works perfectly to illistrate what i envisioned.

2 Likes

I don’t have time to watch the video right now but that’s a great idea. I’m going to watch it later but based on the concept I think that will work great. Thank you so much!

2 Likes

I would love to see your progress if you go this route!

3 Likes

I’ll definitely update this thread. I should have some free time on Sunday and Tuesday, which should give me enough time to get materials.

3 Likes

I siliconed the top rim of the tank, which is good because I tested it first and it didn’t hold water. I tried cutting the silicone off of the top glass panel to remove it but it was still stuck there and all it accomplished was cracking the side panel and cutting my finger. :rofl: To fix the side panel I’m going to try breaking the top and side and replacing the side panel. If that takes too long or doesn’t work I’m going to buy a new aquarium and try again.

4 Likes