Using PVC enclosures for crested geckos

When looking at enclosures today I came across this:

It’s the same size as commonly used exo-terras. The main differences are that these are stackable, have side vents (so the top could be covered without harm), and only have one door. They are designed to work for bioactive tanks and are about the same price.
What are your thoughts on something like this?

2 Likes

I would say it would work wonderful for crested geckos!

2 Likes

I can’t see it because of my location but as long as it’s the right size, has more then one vent for airflow then it seems okay. Won’t be suitable if you use UV though.

In the long run, I eventually want to change to pvc enclosures as some of my Cresties like to hit the roof :pensive:

But this will probably be a long way off as I’d need it in a unit and to allow for UV

2 Likes

Yeah that would work :grin:
Just can’t put a background etc on so would need to find a way of attaching branches etc!

3 Likes

I use Suction cups and make my own little bridges. I have bought some also.

2 Likes

UV is the only thing I wasn’t sure of. There’s an option that includes lighting with it but I don’t know how that would work if they were stacked. I might email them and ask.

1 Like

Would be good to know as UV won’t pass through pvc, well not enough anyway.

1 Like

There are small screen vents on the side but I don’t think that would be enough exposure. I emailed them, so I’ll update here when I get a response.

2 Likes

I’m gonna follow along on this as we’ve been debating builds for the littles. I really like the look of these.

Out of curiosity, would foam not adhere?

1 Like

It would likely depend how it was attached. If it was used on the entire back (as in a background) it would likely support itself enough with the sides. To help it attach sanding down the area and/or using silicone might help.

1 Like

Thank you! :blush:

I’ve never done a background before, so I wasn’t sure.

Please keep us updated! :grin:

1 Like

I got a response back. They said that the lights are mounted inside the enclosure. They have a cage for around the light but it is 20" long and wouldn’t fit inside an 18x18x24 enclosure without modifications. They said that they route the top of the enclosure so the cord is depressed into the top so they can still be stacked.

1 Like

Do you think the T5 that can be added is too strong for only being inches away from the gecko? The specific product is Shade Dweller ProT5 UVB 12" - 8w.

1 Like

That is what I use and it sits on top of the exo terras, although I also use a larger one over a few vivs.

So now this is where it might cost more money and bare in mind that’s space lost for the geckos also.

Do they have any pictures as to what it would look like, including a guard for the UV light, if they can’t fit a guard then it will be no use. But I can’t see why it wouldn’t fit.

I would be very interested in buying something like this in a few years as this is exactly what I am looking for, however I’d also want smaller homes for juveniles etc

1 Like

There aren’t any pictures with the light on the website but there are pictures on Arcadia’s website. The reason the guard won’t fit is because it’s 2 inches (5 cm) too long, but I think I could modify it and get it to work.

Oh I thought they did it! Then yes you might struggle

Seems like exo terras will cost less now if you take into consideration individual lights will cost more than a larger one to share over a couple of vivs, plus the yearly replacement costs for the bulbs, plus the guards.

I have a shelving unit that my reptiles live on, yes space is lost by each shelf, but for price wise this is effective and and looks good.

I still want to look at a pvc enclosure for the future, hopefully they will be around more then, plus gives me time to save :purse:

1 Like

I agree, they aren’t ideal for cresties, at least not for multiple tanks. Their products look great though and I might use their enclosures in the future, just not for crested geckos.

2 Likes

Okay, reviving this thread since I found a new brand and wanted to run it by the gurus.

So I found this company that seems to cater pvc enclosures for geckos. I’m looking for something lightweight, easy clean, ability for bio, and front opening. We will likely be moving soon where I will have a bit more room, but exos are heavy and I’d like a room with uniform enclosures. My goal is @mortikai ’s living room. :joy:

What do we think?

4 Likes

Look good.
As long as 45x45x60 cm or 60x45x60 for females together then ideal.

3 Likes

Yeah, I’ll likely go with bigger sizes.

I love the ease of the Songmics, but looking for those permanent enclosures now. :wink:

4 Likes