Vpi Axanthic?

We just rescued this little boy from PetSmart. He’s extremely thin. They said he did eat last week, after refusing food for a long time and being sent off for wellness check up and being sent back as cleared for issues. They said he was given a few preventative treatments vitamins and antibiotics or something like that I don’t remember exactly what it was they gave him. He was also only half shed so looked very thin and poorly cared for. I asked what they were asking for it in that condition and we settled on $45. I’m going to be getting him food tomorrow morning. I have nothing small enough for him here now. We have had a vpi axanthic before so we’re a little familiar with what they look like but my girl was a little more obvious than this one. What do you think? All input is appreciated. Thanks!

1 Like

This is a VPI clutch I’m waiting on to shed. I would expect that snake to be substantially more silver at that size still. They don’t brown out for quite a while. Far left top and bottom are visual single gene VPI axanthics.

3 Likes

Personally I’m not seeing axanthic (VPI or otherwise) here. While they do brown out with age, yours is still pretty small and would look more silver

3 Likes

Ok cool. Yeah ours was more gray as well. We figure we will just get him up to a good weight and sell him as a very sweet pet on Craigslist. He let me pull the shed off his face, eyes etc. Really a nice little snake.

On the matter of feeding it back to health; take your time. Let it digest a full week before you feed it again.

When pythons eat their body pays a ‘fuel cost’ for a short period before they ‘switch’ to using energy from the prey item to fuel digestion. Add to the fact that a snake in that condition is likely stressed out and it can be dangerous to feed them too frequently.

Here is a paper that gives a great insight into python digestion

https://jeb.biologists.org/content/jexbio/213/8/1266.full.pdf

Stress has a big physiological effect on animals. Think of adrenaline as an example. When you get startled and have that adrenaline reaction, you’ve actually released your own natural ‘steroids’. They give you a boost for a bit, and then the let down occurs. What’s happening is that your body is now forced to metabolize the adrenaline and that has a price. For snakes it’s not much different. When stressed, they release corticosteroids which have to be metabolized at a cost to the system.

Here is a paper with some info about the physiological effects of stress on ball pythons (and BTS)

https://drum.lib.umd.edu/bitstream/handle/1903/20200/1155246.pdf?sequence=1&isAllowed=y

To try and keep it simple, a stressed snake is getting a reduced amount of energy from each meal. Meals come with an upfront energy cost to consume. Take your time, too much food too fast won’t be helpful.

3 Likes

Thank you👍

1 Like

He’s eating good. He ate two fuzzies, smiled and gave me a little nod. I already have a good home ready for him to go to in a few weeks. It’s nice when things work out smoothly. Thanks again everyone.

2 Likes

Glad to hear he’s doing well and life is looking up for him!

1 Like