We got our 1st gecko

We just got our first gecko. The picture of the gecko was grey and he looks brown. Is this typical?

Extreme crop bc the sellers info was in the pic.

4 Likes

In it’s new home :relaxed:

5 Likes

Awesome gecko! The color change is normal. It’s called firing up and firing down. When the crestie is lighter it’s fired down and darker is fired up. Sometimes there are pattern changes between the two but it’s not typical. Cresties fire up well in darker and humid areas, in a well-covered humid enclosure the gecko will likely be fired up often.

4 Likes

Nice 99% pin there!
They’re fire up and down as said so expect to see lots of that! :grin:

3 Likes

Very cute high % pin :star_struck: congrats on your first baby Crestie

I agree there can be a huge difference between fired up and fired down Cresties.

You may find your Crestie change as it gets older. I love watching the change as they grow :relaxed:

3 Likes

The seller said their pic was fired down and when it’s fired up it’s almost black. I asked prior to purchasing it :grimacing:

1 Like

They have like a mid colour which would be the brownish.
Unfired, semi fired, and fired.
Misfire is a fav of mine, it’s when some of the gecko is fired and some is unfired! :star_struck:

2 Likes

If you want to see it’s fired colour, spray a tub and leave the Crestie in it for 10/15 mins (when it’s awake) it should soon fire up for you.

Misfires are AMAZING!

3 Likes

I read a few places to leave him alone for 5-6 days. Does that mean don’t clean either? There’s some poo back in the corner but Id have to take the plants and everything out to get it cleaned up. :face_with_monocle:

1 Like

I handle from day one. Always have done. That’s why I have very chilled cresties and hatchlings go to new homes very chilled out too. They hatch and they’re handled, a lot!
So personally speaking if were me I’d crack on with handling and cleaning. Also you can make the tub bio so you don’t have to spot clean as woodlice and springtails will do this for you :blush:

2 Likes

I usually leave a Crestie to settle for a few days before handling, but I follow the Cresties lead. Once I can see them eating and happily exploring then I’d handle them.

Pooping is a sign your Crestie is settling in. I’d definitely suggest clean it up if you haven’t got a bio-active enclosure

2 Likes

I got it on Tuesday and its only had two little poops. Is that ok? Do you guys have a retainer fee for all these questions?! :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

I got him out and cleaned a little bit ago. I’ve never had a reptile before. I’m afraid I’m going to squish him when I try to pick him up. So far, I scoot him into my hand and then he jumps from hand to hand or crawls on my arms…Like he’s really going places, too! I swear he’s looking me in the eye and trying to jump on my face. :japanese_ogre:

2 Likes

Sounds like a typical Crestie :rofl: I still worry about squashing my lil Cresties, adults are a little less jumpy so I tend to not worry with them lol

2 poops in that time seems normal for a new Crestie

You appear to be picking your Crestie up correctly, I also put my under their chin and they someone walk into my hand, but that takes some practice for the Crestie

1 Like

Don’t they all? :joy:
I swear they all go for the face! My daughter has had many Cresties jump on hers bless her :rofl::heart:

3 Likes