Well, this wasn't a colour I was expecting to see!

I’m getting ever so slightly better at popping. Sneaky and Hoover are now both confirmed males. I’m going to say the division is currently 2.1.7 until proven otherwise.

4 Likes

It does get easier. When I was learning, I think I was trying too hard, using too much pressure.

Keeper is a cutie! And I absolutely love your names!

2 Likes

Okay, I have yet another question. I was watching one of Sarah’s videos (@sarahssnakeshop) and she mentions that animals that are het for Cinder can look Masque. This has me wondering if it’s possible that the “Masque” hatchlings I ended up with could be het Cinder? I know the sire was listed as a pos het, and I know the only real way to tell would be breeding trials, but it got me curious.

2 Likes

Possibly. I don’t work with Cinder myself, but my understanding of how het Cinder resembles Masque has to do with the fading seen on the head of both of these as the snake grows into an adult. That doesn’t appear in hatchlings. I don’t believe het Cinder affects belly checkers at all. I could be wrong, though. Like I said, I don’t work with Cinder. (I love them, the timing just never worked out.)

Olivia does though. Calling @solarserpents !

2 Likes

That’s a good question. Cinder and masque share Keys ancestry, which is where they get the split checkers. I can’t say I’ve noticed het cinders having the split checkers, but most of my cinder stuff is homozygous, and my het cinder snakes have pattern mutations that affect belly checkers, so I can’t really check them.

3 Likes

I guess breeding trials it is, then. We shall perhaps see in a few years.

1 Like

All of the good eaters finished shedding today, so I threw (gently placed, lol) everyone in a bin to grab some quick photos of them in the sun. Total time was about 2-3 minutes, then everyone was sorted back into their bins. I am just in awe of the progression of their colouration and patterns. :heart_eyes: :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

6 Likes

Got to love Leaky being so big lol :joy:

3 Likes

Everyone’s catching up now that they are all on double pinks, but she still sticks out like a sore thumb. I should get a photo of her next to the other amel, that’d be quite the comparison.

3 Likes

Here you go, @lumpy, your girl next to her sister, Cheeky.

4 Likes

Wow, she really is bigger lol :joy:.

2 Likes

Isn’t it fun watching them grow? And, in the case of some, grow and Grow and GROW!

3 Likes

Absolutely! Though I will say, they’re doing their best to eat me out of house and home. Just the six eaters go through twelve pinkies per week. I mean, I knew that, but you also don’t realize exactly how many mice that is until you see it first hand.

3 Likes

Yeah, I am getting another order of pinkies in tomorrow. I try and ordered three months’ supply at a time. I generally feed babies every 6 days so yeah, lots of mice.

On another note I spotted a certain someone’s ad “On Hold.” The possible genetics are mind bending.

1 Like

I’ve got to place another order soon enough, though based on what’s left in my freezer and the size of the eaters, I’m going to have to get some fuzzies as well. I’m very thankful to have only had one clutch this year, as it gives me an idea of what I’m going to need to order next season based on the number of females I’ll be pairing.

I was waiting to see if anyone else would find that listing! She’s quite the pos het jackpot, mostly from dad’s lineage. Not quite the genetics I was originally aiming for, but useful none the less. :sweat_smile:

3 Likes

I love her anyways!

2 Likes

At this point I’m almost entirely sure she could have come out the most plain Jane corn of all time and you’d still be enamoured with her, I absolutely love it! Btw, her shipping supplies are due to arrive today, let the excitement begin. :gift:

3 Likes

Yep :+1:! Been excited for some time!

3 Likes

When are you getting her? She’s going to feel like shoelace compared to what you’re used to!

2 Likes

I should have her in FL by next Wednesday or Thursday. I know, right? She is going to be so small compared to even when I first got Willow (@ 108 grams). Still thinking of getting a smaller tank for a while because the smallest I have is a 20 gallon long lol :joy:. I have it set up a q-tub and I am filling it as much as possible.

4 Likes