Well, this wasn't a colour I was expecting to see!

Mom was sold to me as a Miami pos het scaleless, but it’s looking like there might be some surprises in store for my first clutch!

18 Likes

Oh wow!! I would love more pictures!

3 Likes

There will definitely be more photos as things progress, right now not much to see as only two have pipped thus far.

4 Likes

By the way, @lumpy this is Leaky. Apparently this little one is just beating all kinds of odds!

I got a glimpse of an eye inside the egg, somehow I’ve ended up with an amel…When amel was never supposed to be at play. So not only did this little one survive the odds of the egg leaking 4-5 days before anyone pipped, but now we’ve got a little genetic surprise as well.

6 Likes

Well, reality sucks. A third egg pipped, i was so excited! Went to breakfast, came home, noticed blood. More than should have been. Seems this little one accidentally tore one of the vessels leading to the yolk sac and lost too much blood. What a bummer.

6 Likes

Awww I’m sorry. That’s the one part I hate about breeding, they don’t always make it :pleading_face::persevere::sob:

4 Likes

It’s truly a heartbreaking aspect, but at least I know it was a fluke and nothing I caused. I looked closely and it seems there’s an actual knot in the umbilical.

Photo for anyone curious:

5 Likes

That’s always comforting when you know it wasn’t you that caused it!

5 Likes

True words. I always find it sad when babies don’t make it, though, even when I know it wasn’t caused by me. I am sure I’ll have few of those this year, too many eggs in incubation to not have it happen, but it still sucks.

Good news is that there are so many pretty pippies! (Extra hurrahs for Leaky!)

6 Likes

Yeah, I had a stillborn crested a few months ago, it was devastating :sob:. I always try and remember that it’s just nature, nothing we can really do about it. We can try and help, but it doesn’t always work sadly :pleading_face:.

4 Likes

Decided this thread could use some snoots!

15 Likes

Oh they’re so cute!!! :laughing:

3 Likes

Came home after some errands to a new little snoot sticking out!

This clutch started as thirteen eggs. Two went bad rather quickly. Of the eleven that survived, so far four eggs have produced babies, with the one unfortunately passing. Seven left to hatch.

9 Likes

I love this time of year. It’s like Christmas, with self-opening presents!

7 Likes

I’m calling this clutch my half birthday presents, since my birthday is 6 months from yesterday.

3 Likes

Aww :smiling_face: that’s sweet!

3 Likes

Love it! Makes me think of the Disney Alice in Wonderland song about “A Very Merry Un-Birthday.”

4 Likes

I love that song, brings back childhood memories!

3 Likes

I’ll post more photos when they start leaving the eggs, but it’s looking like there are eight normals and two amels. No scaleless babies, which means either mom is NOT het Scaleless, or dad was not my Scaleless male.

3 Likes

I think my experience with Sceptre this year is going to lurk behind my thoughts on a lot of my unproven hets and/or unusual results. That’s probably unfortunate, since I think sperm storage is probably pretty rare, but still.

That said, I’d go with Mom not being het scaleless since I would expect at least some of the babies were sired by your male.

4 Likes