Who needs Easter eggs when

Okay…It’s happening, I think we have our first pip! I went to check on the eggs tonight and one seemed…odd. Lightly picked it up to discover it was leaking. Now, based on dates, they were due any day after the 4th, so I’m not about to worry that I exploded an egg or something, I think it’s just time.

Ohhh I cannot WAIT to see what I get!!! :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

4 Likes

No pics?! :grin:

3 Likes

@solarserpents

4 Likes

Can’t wait to see a nose sticking out! They look perfect!

4 Likes

Starting to wonder if the first “pip” wasn’t an accident. Baby has not made any attempt to further leave the egg. The hole has actually kind of congealed/resealed itself. Baby inside is still responsive and the egg has sufficient fluid in it yet, so I just plan to leave things be and see what happens. What a learning experience this is!

3 Likes

Afternoon egg check confirms the hole has “sealed” itself via congealed albumin, which is apparently a thing that can happen. The egg itself is still full, the lost fluid doesn’t seem to have caused any issues, all the veins remain intact, and baby is most definitely still moving inside the egg. I’m very glad I decided to leave it be instead of letting my curiosity get the better of me. It will be interesting to see how long it takes for the actual pip to happen, and whether or not it has any affect on the fetus itself.

2 Likes

You really have had a heck of a year. I can’t wait to see your babies, so I can just imagine how much you feel like you’re on pins and needles!

2 Likes

Heck of a year and it’s not even over yet, I’m just…Whew. It’s so hard not to peek in every few minutes, but I know they’ll come out when they’re ready. I’m just very relieved I resisted the urge to cut that egg when it had been 12 hours with no sign of baby. I keep reminding myself, the worst thing I can do right now is try to intervene.

2 Likes

Well there was another little crisis with the leaky egg that required intervention. The leak re-opened and the egg itself was collapsing. As far as I can tell, baby is still responsive. I put some hydrated moss on the egg in hopes it would re-plump and it seems to be working.

2 Likes

Starting to wonder if Sienna isn’t about to double clutch on me. Her previous owner did say she double clutched the last two years for him, so it’s entirely possible. She’s going into shed, so I gave her a lay box with sphagnum just in case.

2 Likes

Well, that’s stressful. How is the leaky egg faring today? Hopefully it will make it. I’ve “patched” leaks before with medical gauze. I folded a bit of wax paper inside the gauze, trimmed to cover the leak with room on the edges. It adhered, then dried and stayed in place until hatching.

Glad that the dampened moss is helping with moisture retention. It’s challenging to rehydrate the egg while simultaneously stopping a leak.

2 Likes

I don’t think the leaky one is going to make it, but as of right now, it does not smell, so it stays with the rest. The other eggs seem to be doing just fine, no other pips or anything but they’re still plump and growing.

I am very much hoping that Sienna doesn’t double clutch, but I know that’s entirely out of my hands. She’s deep in blue, so we’ll see in the next week or so.

2 Likes

Since Sienna did double clutch the past two years I think you’re right to expect her to double again. I would have preferred that Tulip not double, but she always does. Good luck with her.

2 Likes

IT’S TIME, THIS IS NOT A DRILL!!! :scream:

2 Likes

Okay, seeing as another baby had pipped, I dared tear into the deflated egg a bit more…

…Not only is baby ALIVE and responsive, but the colours seem…Interesting. Might I have had mystery genetics?!

4 Likes

Yay! Glad to see Leaky is alive! Can’t wait to see them come out!

4 Likes

Oh my gosh let us know how Leaky does! I want to see him when he comes out, please let us know!

4 Likes

Oh gosh, how exciting! Come on, all together now - Lea-KY! Lea-KY! LEA-KY!

4 Likes

Leaky updates, and those for the rest of the clutch as they hatch, can be found here. So far, Leaky is seemingly unaffected by circumstance, and VERY responsive in egg.

4 Likes

Yes!!! Leaky, Leaky, we all love Leaky!

3 Likes