What can you feed to isopods

Hi i’ve been wanting to buy some isopods but their food has always been a issue for me i dont know what i can feed them as the tutorials i’ve watched suggest crested gecko food and thats a little expensive but i also watched a video where the person was feeding their isopods dead roaches and i was wondering if you guys can give me cheap and easy ideas for isopods

4 Likes

Dead leaves from most trees. No, really. :smiley:
Boil em for a bit to disinfect them, then when they are cooled, they make up cover and food. My isopods also like a little Springtail Food powder (which I bought from Josh’ Frogs I think). But naturally they are detritivores.

As far as I know: Any clean bits of vegetable, clean raw human-food-type mushrooms, or bits of dried bug meant for reptile food can be added, but mostly they eat dead leaves and bits of bark, layered in their substrate. (Anything you give them has to be organic/otherwise free of any residue or pesticides, so peel any fruits or veg, and boil any leaves and bark) Remove anything uneaten before it can grow mold. The dead leaves generally don’t but veg can get gross if left in the bin.

5 Likes

What about frozen bananas

3 Likes

Tropical fish flakes!

2 Likes

Mine eat dead leaves and reptile shed. Also when i feed my roaches bug burger i’ll break off tiny pieces and feed them that. But they very occasionally get stuff other than leaves, and they’re thriving!

2 Likes

Fish flakes dried shrimp and shrimp brine.

2 Likes

This is good to know because my Blue Death Feigning Beetles HATE the dried river shrimp in the Flukers turtle treat mix I feed them bugs from. They’ll eat mealworms, they LOVE crickets, but they won’t even touch the river shrimps. I’ll give those to the Armadillidium colony.

3 Likes

:+1:! Yep! There you go! :blush:

3 Likes

Thank you all for the food suggestions

3 Likes

It totally depends on the species. Some eat a lot of leaves but some prefer other things. Some like protein a lot, some don’t. Their care really does vary a lot depending on the species.

4 Likes

That’s really cool! It makes sense given their varying environments. I’ll have to see what things mine specialize in! I have Dwarf Whites and “Pillbugs” (Armadillidium vulgare)

4 Likes

Okay I don’t know if it was the armadillos who did it but i think it was the white dwarfs… I put a piece of shed in there and this morning they’d left nothing but the hardest scutes. They made it go bye bye in about 24 hours.
…I might try them on dried river shrimp.

4 Likes

I have put snake skin sheds in with my isopods as well as dried shrimp and fish flakes. I don’t think it matters what you feed isopods because they are a “cleanup crew” anyway. If they eat stuff like reptile poop I would think dried shrimp and fish flakes would be a delicacy to them! lol! :joy:

3 Likes

Twentyfour hours ago this was a piece of shed about three inches wide!

5 Likes

Yep! Perfect for isopods! :blush:

3 Likes

Good news- the Conglobation Station team are happy to help get rid of dried up carrot chunks that no longer interest my Blue Death Feigning Beetles!

I feed the Beeples on a mix of things, but once the fresh carrot dries out they don’t want it any more. I decided to see if the Clean Up Crew at the Station would like to help it go to soil instead of to waste, and they seem to love it! They also get fish flakes and snake shed now that I know they like proteins.

6 Likes