What do you guys think of PETA?

There is a huge difference between "Animal Rights " movement, the usually-overzealous semi-militant Anti-Pet Anti-Zoo groups,

and Animal Welfare, which is a more generally broad umbrella including Zoos’ accreditation standards, captive conservation breeding work, the push for positive reinforcement and pain-free animal training, Fear Free agriculture and responsible Humane slaughter practices, and so on.

You can guess which one I am in favor of, and where PETA sits.

12 Likes

ok um wow this is a shocker I knew they weren’t great but wow this genuinely makes me upset.

5 Likes

They are extremists. I understand where they come from but the way they go about it is ridiculous. I hate to see any animal mistreated but that doesn’t mean I would go and confiscate all pets and euthanize them. They cross that line of righteousness and went straight to radicalism. That’s my take on it.

10 Likes

I’ll just keep it simple, fanatics that don’t help anything.

10 Likes

PETA is manipulative and predatory in their practices.

“No one treats the animals better than us” - the people who kill healthy animals to “save” them from people…

There are VERY VERY few people who know what PETA’s true goal is. And I feel there is NO way it can be good for us or the planet

12 Likes

As others have said. They are extremist and they kill animals for no reason. They also are known to torture animals for their ads to try and make it look like others have been cruel to them. Any sane individual would never support or agree with them unless they have no idea the horrible things they have done.

15 Likes

I do not like them one bit. As others have said in this thread, they have killed many, many animals just for the sake of furthering their agenda of having no animals be kept as pets. There was a family that had their dog stolen by PETA workers off their porch and had then euthanized the dog without permission. They claimed in an article that the reason they did this to the dog was because she “did not have identification and was not restrained”.

10 Likes

peta(purposefully put in lowercase) are one of the most malicious groups of nut bars in existence. They do not want anyone keeping any animals in captivity for any reason. That includes your precious dogs and cats. Think about that.

8 Likes

I never thought much about PETA one way or another. I guess I just assumed (wishful thinking maybe?) this group was above board in all respects and therefore animal welfare was it’s only priority. Unfortunately this is not a perfect world so if this group is guilty of exploitation of animals instead of the welfare of animals, it doesn’t surprise me in the least.

Corruption is a lot like cancer. If left unchecked, it spreads like a wild fire, destroying everything in it’s path. Money and power. What a shame……

5 Likes

Support these guys instead!
https://www.thecavalrygroup.com/

1 Like

I think they are awesome people. They do excellent work. And are an asset to reptile keepers worldwide. :laughing: :rofl: :joy:

2 Likes

A worthwhile site to get to know and love:

It is more strongly focused on H$U$ than PETA but it covers the latter as well.

10 Likes

PETA Makes me want to go to their headquarters and eat a hamburger in front of them. They also think that reptiles shouldn’t be kept as pets so I hate them.

3 Likes

As a vegan myself, it terrifies me to think that PETA may be considered the biggest face of veganism among the general public. Most fellow vegans I’ve met really just want to chill and love animals while doing everything they can not to harm them. That’s it.

8 Likes

I don’t care for peta at all, and it honestly makes me sick that their headquarters is less than 20 minutes from my house. Especially with their reputation of stealing or what they call “saving” pets from peoples front porches and yards and euthanizing them. Also on their website they say having pets is enslavement of animals.

This is from their own website, check out the adoption vs. euthanasia rate

7 Likes

Yeah, this pretty much sums up my feelings. Most vegans I know, including myself, absolutely loathe PETA for all the reasons mentioned here.

6 Likes

Interesting read through this thread. I had intentions of posting something similar after coming across this garbage article, and ultimately, I find myself in agreement with many of you, PETA is a manipulative and evil organization. I remember as far back as a Warped Tour in 2013, they had a booth with a pop-up trailer that had videos running, and the whole gimmick was they’d give you $1 and some pamphlet to read after you watched the video to sit through it, and I remember the strongest focus being on the turkey trade, and the points even then made me laugh, I gladly took the $1 with a sarcastic comment about how the video gave me an appetite, but later on I learned more about the birds as an archer, and that the video was almost completely anthropomorphized lies to make you feel “closer to turkey”. The points made in the article I hyperlinked are also more than laughable and more of the style of misleading and incomplete information driven to frighten the uneducated and disinterested that I’ve grown to know of PETA. I will always maintain that people such as ourselves: keepers, breeders and enthusiasts, so long as we explore the diversity of the world with the proper approach such as healthy resources and good experience-proven information, will ALWAYS be a better option for the long-term survival and conservation of many of these creatures we work with, as opposed to the “leave it be and it will thrive in the wild” approach taken by an organization that does no more for living animals in captivity than wave a false flag to pay it’s CEOs, while we tap the planet dry of its resources and scrub the edge of the wilderness away everywhere we live and continue to grow as a species.

I’m glad someone else posted some of the information on their headquarters, and the numbers at the time regarding all the “hard work” they put in, it saved me some work, but many people and supporters are unaware they are even involved in such activities. Please do not give these people your support or your money, if you support any form of animal rights, they are selling snake oil.

10 Likes

I dont even think good intentions, they are the antithesis of everything they stand for. When i have more time ill explain more, but PETA is the definition of “it hurt itself in its confusion”.

For now suffice it to say they have the nickname People Euthanizing Terrified Animals for a reason. They are extremely needle happy and feel pets are better off dead than as pets as its more “humane”.

13 Likes

I attended a massive (100,000+ person) neuroscience research convention in the fall, and over 50% of the research (including mine) involved animals. My professor had to brief us on what to do and say if we were confronted outside of the convention center. We were fully prepped for harassment or verbal attacks from PETA, as it had happened at other neuro conventions in the past.
Weird plot twist, PETA never showed, but we did get yelled at by 3 DIFFERENT anti-evolution groups, which was unexpected. (My favorite one was the EVILution protesters, what a name)

I agree with the general consensus here; there is nothing wrong with protecting animals or even being against animal research if you want to be, but PETA does it in such the wrong way they are actually more of a danger to certain animals (like the lab rats people release that die immediately and painfully due to being ALBINO and getting hunted or starving slowly).

12 Likes

Lock your door, lock your windows, lock your enclosures lock your reptile room door, watch the security cameras…
Lol.

7 Likes